6th Grade Social Studies Teacher
New World Prep Charter School
Middle School - Staten Island, New York
The New World Preparatory Charter School Social Studies Teacher understands and promotes the school’s mission, vision, objectives, and policies both within and outside the immediate school community. The Social Teacher is responsible for providing an instructional program that supports the individual needs of all children.
- Manage and support an organized and professional classroom that is conducive to learning and the development of Social Studies skills
- Create and adapt assignments and lesson plans to be aligned with the Common Core Standards.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics and other instructional materials and methods
- Use technology tools for instruction, planning, and communication and ensure student engagement
- Recognize the needs of individual students and the entire group and offer support and flexibility as needed.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of each student’s progress.
- Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting expectations and achieving goals
- Use student data to reflect on effectiveness of lessons and student achievement progress in order to improve instruction and personal practice
- Create, and manage a responsive learning environment that enables students to feel safe, to be creative, and to develop to their full potential
- Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without exceptions
- Organize and supervise approved field trips to enhance classroom learning.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families, colleagues and administrators
- Develop and use scales/rubrics for evaluating student products and performances
- Oversee and assist with student arrival / dismissal
- Work closely with all members of school community, model citizenship, collaboration and support of one another
- Other tasks as assigned by the Administration
- Required to have New York State Certification: K-6.
- A commitment to the belief that all students can learn.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture.
- Special Education background preferred.
Job Type: Full-time