The Social Media Web Producer—Desk Investigator is key to CMGO’s drive to be the first and foremost local news source. As a member of the Breaking News Team, their primary role is to serve as the team’s “social listener” and will focus on creation of snackable content for our growing mobile and digital audiences. The team member will engage our digital audiences through social media branded accounts—including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter. The Producer/Investigator will scour these social media sites for news tips and potential content across our brands, as well as reach out to, engage with and answer audience inquiries. The Producer/Investigator will utilize social media crowdsourcing tools such as DataMinr Geofeedia and CrowdTangle to gather additional content. In addition, the Social Media Web Producer—Desk Investigator will monitor police/fire scanner traffic and public email accounts for other potential news content. He or she will utilize their journalism training to write breaking, weather and non-urgent news content for our digital products, with emphasis on mobile writing of “snackable content” and implementation of SEO techniques to bolster engagement with our content. The Social Media Web Producer—Desk Investigator must be an effective communicator who works closely with other Breaking News, Coordination, and Digital Team members to ensure stories are updated frequently online and in our daily assignment file, and that analytics and strategy is used in the creation and posting of social content.
- Possesses in depth knowledge/use of social media products for news gathering/crowdsourcing purposes
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to handle breaking news
- Displays ability to work under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to write accurate, concise, quick “snackable” stories for mobile content utilizing SEO guidelines to increase audience engagement
- Possesses sound news judgment for all platforms—digital, radio, television, print
- Displays ability to use technology, including monitoring Tweetdeck, Social Flow, live Rangecast scanners, traffic cameras, weather radar, NWS sites, and wires for breaking news and weather conditions
- Ability to engage and communicate effectively with audiences in social media spaces, using CMG guidelines
- Ability to identify breaking news and alert newsroom staff via internal alerts
- Possesses knowledge of police codes on scanners, and possesses a key sense of what is newsworthy
- Confirms scanner traffic via phone with dispatchers, makes systematic beat check calls
- Ability to request and add elements to web stories such as compelling video, pictures, and other visual data.
- Ability to send news/weather tweets on WHIO and Stormcenter7 at least once per hour; more frequent during breaking news/weather events
- Uses time effectively, efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work
- Is flexible in shift starting times and work locations
- Displays the ability to communicate effectively with community contacts and excels at developing relationships and trust with contacts, sources and cross platform co-workers
- Stays in constant communication with Breaking News, Coordination and Digital team members
- Quickly disperses information to the Breaking News Team and pays special attention to platform deadlines and strives to meet content needs of those platforms by deadline
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with others while maintaining a positive, helpful attitude
- Handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability, and a calm, cool, demeanor in working with others during stressful news events
- Ability to be innovative in ways to ethically confirm breaking news stories and obtain content and visuals
This is a part-time position and must be available to work evenings and some weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or at least 1 year of professional media, social media and digital media experience preferred.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.