Puget Sound Energy’s Customer Safety Communications Department is looking for a Damage Prevention Representative to join our team. This position will be based out of our North Seattle or Georgetown offices. More than 1,000 times a year, excavators put their lives at risk by digging into PSE natural gas pipelines or underground electric cables. As our damage prevention field rep, you’ll drive from job site to job site to persuade excavators to dig more carefully. Over time, you’ll develop relationships with the contractors in your area, educating them about best practices and Washington’s dig law. You’ll help them make better use of the resources available to accurately locate underground facilities, give them “atta-boys” when they dig safely, and call them out when they don’t. The job calls for a personality that can be patient and tolerant one moment, and forceful the next. The open position covers Seattle and the suburbs bordering Seattle to the north and south and your primary job functions while be conducted in the field and very rarely from an office environment. This position works closely with PSE’s electric and Gas First Response teams, Claims department and locating service providers. Things you might like about this job • Standing up for safety in a place where it really counts. • Setting your own priorities within established guidelines. • Talking daily with a lot of people, including many who you’ll come to know on a first-name basis. • Being a recognized expert on safe excavating. • Driving a company truck from home to and from your territory. Things you might not like so much • Dealing with contractors who don’t appreciate being questioned about their digging practices. • Spending a chunk of your day navigating city traffic. Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs, our leadership in renewable energy and our commitment to reduce carbon emissions by 50 percent. At PSE all employees are valued, respected and provided with the opportunity to excel professionally. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive cafeteria-style benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
JOB REQUIREMENT:JOB RESPONSIBILTY:
- Knowledge and experience deep enough (minimum of 5 years) that no one can talk their way past you. This should include safe digging practices and/or PSE’s field operations and practices as well as utility industry underground installation construction standards, best practices and safety requirements.
- A dedication to safety that is so strong you get angry when you see someone putting their self and others at risk.
- A temperament that enables you to keep your cool, even when you feel angry.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically and firmly in situations where conflict may arise.
- Thorough understanding of the Washington state dig law and the procedures for enforcement.
- Ability to give presentations, both formal and informal, to groups of construction workers.
- Ability to document interactions while working in a field environment.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Journeyman or equivalent experience in construction, heavy equipment operation, and/or O&M inspection
- Ability to speak Spanish.
- Damage investigation and documentation procedures.
- Knowledge of gas and electric utility rates, business objectives, to include operations, customer service, claims, and corporate relations.
- MS Office