This role offers you a rare opportunity to directly impact the energy industry alongside a team of passionate, creative engineers and entrepreneurs in a fun, dynamic innovation center. Shell TechWorks has developed a company-leading technology delivery methodology that blends systems and design thinking with state-of-the-art technologies and tools, to produce highly effective solutions for Shell. In addition to developing creative systems and products, you will also be part of a truly collaborative, inclusive, multi-functional team with a mission to help Shell produce more and cleaner energy.
For more information about Shell TechWorks, please visit their website: http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/innovation/innovate-with-shell/shell-techworks.html.
** Prior experience as a systems architect/ engineer is not required to apply for this position **
Application of Innovative Systems Thinking & Disciplines: You will be expected to work with customers (internal and external to Shell), the STW team, and end users to define stakeholder needs. You will then be expected to generate the business case and use cases that frame the design process. The position involves thinking holistically to define the problem, solutions, and risks. You will be expected to identify and use design patterns to develop architectures that can be applied to multiple solutions. Note that STW is seeking individuals who are innovation and design oriented rather than process oriented. You are expected to have a self motivating personality and strong work ethic.
Business Development: Senior systems architects are asked to support business development and grow our business. You are expected to provide technical feedback to Business Development staff to ensure potential projects are in line with our core capabilities and strategically relevant to the engineering organization.
Leadership: Senior systems architects at STW are asked to perform the role of technical director and assume leadership positions on projects. Therefore, it is imperative that you demonstrate the characteristics of a servant leader, while providing guidance and leadership to others. You must lead from the front. Success in this role also requires being able to influence external stakeholders and teammates in other organizations.
Technical Knowledge: In addition, you must demonstrate deep knowledge in one or more technical areas outside of systems engineering. Due to the broad spectrum of projects STW will be engaging, you must demonstrate an ability to rapidly gain understanding in engineering disciplines and theory that are foreign to him/her and provide meaningful analysis & modeling products to the design process. Knowledge of Model-Based Systems Engineering tools & principles is an asset, but not required.
A Culture of Safety: You will be responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained at all times and by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
Desired Skills and Experience
- B.Sc in engineering or equivalent a minimum, M.Sc in engineering is preferred
- At least 7 years experience in an engineering environment, 3-5 years leading a small team
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, start-up technology company environment
- *_Experience with stakeholder management and customer interface is required**
- Deep knowledge in at least one of the following subject areas:
- Thermodynamics & fluid dynamics
- Advanced control theory
- Numerical & Analytical mathematical methods
- Modeling, simulation, and analysis
- SCADA & networked communications
- Ocean engineering
- Process engineering & heavy industrial design
- Industrial controls & programming_*
- Experience with creating & successfully executing engineering plans
- Experience performing risk management analyses
- Experience performing trade studies
- Experience with the following software packages & languages is a significant asset
- Model-Based Systems Engineering tools (e.g., Enterprise Architect, Rational/Rational, CORE, MagicDraw)
- UML & SysML
The following personal traits or abilities are critical for success
- Natural leader & mentor
- Excels in “grey areas”, succeeds in complicated political and technical situations
- Thrives in high energy/ fast paced environments and projects
- Ability to work effectively and build relationships with all levels of personnel, customers, suppliers, consultants - both internally and externally
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Ability to create and communicate an accurate schedule
- Willingness to learn to work with the tools and solutions selected by the team
- Insatiable curiosity to understand and improve the state of the art
- Willingness to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally
This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks through Cenergy International Systems (CIS). Cenergy is a leading provider of expert workforce solutions to the oil and gas industry, with offices around the world including the United States, Canada, Netherlands, Scotland and Australia.
CIS offers a generous compensation, benefits and vacation package. This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in the Northwest corner of MIT’s campus, close to Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Please apply directly to the position at http://shelltechworks.mytribehr.com/careers by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time