Provides academic advisement for college programs and conducts recruitment activities. This position assists students in identifying and understanding issues and procedures related to their educational objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides academic advisement, career information and guidance activities, educational/degree planning, course selection, and related support services for the programs offered by the college; tracks student progress and reports on activities as necessary
- Assists students to take and score self-administered vocational interest and aptitude tests; assists students in assessing academic skills
- Schedules appointments with school guidance and counseling staff for students requiring professional assistance
- Orders, catalogues, and maintains files on materials relating to job opportunities, careers, technical schools, colleges, scholarships, armed forces, and other programs; prepares or distributes brochures, handbooks, and fliers as necessary
- Assists students and teachers to locate career information related to students’ interests and aptitudes, or demonstrates use of files, shelf collections, and other information retrieval systems
- Makes presentations to parent and other groups to publicize educational opportunities and activities of the college
- Plans publicity campaigns and contacts target groups to explain college educational programs and services; assists with outreach to high schools and community
- Provides new student group advisement
- Assists students with transfer of courses, programs, and universities
- Collects and organizes occupational data as necessary; compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist counselees in determining and carrying out vocational and educational objectives
- Conducts professional development activities and training for new advisors and counselors
- Refers students to the correct program or health professional for issues requiring further attention
- Manages and implements improved methods to offer special programs designed for minorities and under-served populations; recruits the underrepresented population of students at low-performing schools in Tarrant County
- Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite
- Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored through Tarrant County College (TCC)
- Supports the values of the College: diversity, teaching excellence, student success, innovation and creativity and service to the College
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Required Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two (2) years of experience in advising, counseling, financial aid, admissions, retention, or student services
- Experience in advising students of diverse cultures and ethnic backgrounds
- Experience working with computerized systems
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Desired Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
- Experience as an academic advisor in a college or university
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Accommodations
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Special Instructions Summary
This is an on call, part time position, maximum 19.5 hours per week. Work schedules may vary based on campus and departmental needs.
Schedule may include evenings and Saturdays.
Posting Date 09/21/2018
Posting Contact Summary
Should you have questions specific to this position please contact the following individual
Contact Cathy Westbrook