Savannah Technical College is seeking an individual to serve as Police Lieutenant within the Savannah Technical College Police Department. This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the administration of the Campus Police Department and for supervising the day-to-day activities of assigned officers. The Lieutenant also serves as the training officer and is responsible for the development and training of students, faculty and staff as related to law enforcement training and procedures. Duties include, but are not limited to: planning, monitoring, and organizing police resources; provides project management as needed; advises the Chief of Police on budgeting and expenditures; supervises subordinate personnel; serves as a principal point of contact for the college’s Public Safety Department; coordinates and communicates with internal and external team members, and all other duties as assigned by the Chief of Police.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work weekends, day, evening and morning shifts and to be on-call.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with Savannah Technical College faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- Ability to handle crisis situations efficiently, according to laws and established guidelines.
- Ability to differentiate between colors.
- Associate’s Degree *AND* two years’ Certified Police Officer experience, OR four years’ experience as a Certified Police Officer.
- Georgia P.O.S.T. police officer certification.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurability required. Candidates will be subject to a driver’s history review.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Georgia P.O.S.T. supervisory certification preferred.
- Georgia P.O.S.T. General Instructor and Firearms Instructor Certification strongly preferred.
- Teaching experience in a college or university strongly preferred.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, stooping, bending, crouching, climbing, reaching, and routinely lifting up to 50 pounds. Sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time required. The work is performed in campus buildings and outdoors where the employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat, cold, or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dirt, dust, grease, machinery with moving parts, and irritating chemicals. Full range of hand and finger motion required for data entry purposes. This position is subject to exposure to extreme and possibly life threatening conditions. Pre-employment drug testing, physical examination, and psychological evaluation required. Position is subject to random drug testing.
Salary is commensurate with education and work experience. Benefits include paid state holidays, annual and sick leave, and the State of Georgia Benefits package.
Position considered open until filled. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and reference check. Applicants must submit an electronic application through Team Georgia Careers, and attach cover letter and resume (incomplete submissions will not be considered). Please include your annual salary for each position held.
POSITION CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AND ALLOCATION OF POSITION.
No phone inquiries please. Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to personally contact each applicant. If we are interested in scheduling an interview, a representative from our college will contact you.
All male applicants between the ages of 18 and 26 years of age must present proof of Selective Service Registration. Savannah Technical College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, age, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran of the Vietnam Era, or citizenship status (except those special circumstances permitted or mandated by law). Invitation to Self-Identify For compliance activities, contact Melissa Banks, Title IX and Equity Coordinator, Room A110 or (912) 443-3388, firstname.lastname@example.org. Send written correspondence to Savannah Technical College, Attn: Melissa Banks, 5717 White Bluff Road, Savannah, GA 31405. STC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree. Candidates may be required to submit a valid Driver’s License, proof of insurability, and/or a driver’s history report for positions involving state travel.
Associate degree and Two years experience OR Four years experience as a certified police officer. P.O.S.T certification.