At least 3 years experience teaching special education in an Upper School (7-12) Classroom
Secondary Certification in a Specialized Area a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses knowledge and skill in diagnostic/prescriptive testing, instruction formulation and progress report writing.
- Possesses the ability to handle the behavior management of our students in a therapeutic manner.
- Possesses good oral and written communication skills.
- Relates warmly and positively to students, staff and others.
- Handles people and issues in a professional manner.
- Possesses adequate computer skills to facilitate IEP and reporting processes.
- Physical ability to perform all duties of this position.
- Valid Pennsylvania drivers license
- Ability to function as part of a therapeutic team.
- Develops an individualized education program (IEP) for each student assigned to his/her classroom based on current educational and emotional / behavioral assessments / evaluations. Revises IEP, when required, subject to established procedures.
- Requests further educational assessment information when needed from educational specialists or consultative assistance from clinical staff.
- Maintains assessment/evaluation information and a current copy of the IEP for each assigned student in classroom files for use in planning instruction.
- Shares IEP information with assistants and/or 1:1 staff; makes certain that said staff clearly understands their IEP responsibilities; maintains appropriate documentation.
- Prepares classroom lesson plan, which clearly take into account student differences.
- Instructs assigned students according to the established IEP goals, designated objectives and Pennsylvania curriculum guidelines.
- Maintains appropriate classroom discipline.
- Monitors student progress on IEP goals and maintains a record of each student’s instruction, including IEP objectives mastered.
- Collects and maintains all appropriately student data as directed by his/her supervisor.
- Prepares for and contributes to student team meetings, parent-team conferences and IEP planning meetings.
- Writes student progress reports as determined by the Educational Director.
- Administers informal and standardized educational tests.
- Requisitions textbooks, instructional materials and supplies as needed through established procedures.
- Makes appropriate and effective use of the assigned Teacher Assistant.
- Maintains student attendance records and submits required information to supervisors according to established procedures.
- Contributes to in-service education programs at the request of an Educational Supervisor and/or the Educational Director.
- Participates in the development of curriculum, instructional materials and techniques.
Job Type: Full-time
- special education teaching: 3 years (Required)
- PA Certification in Secondary Math and Special Education Certification (Required)