University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
This position exists to oversee technical architecture for UIS services and applications as well as to provide future-looking technical guidance. This position will spend a majority of the time in early-stage implementation (proof-of-concept or other innovation-focused efforts). This position will be responsible for defining standard architecture review processes (DRT), standards and artifacts within UIS and contribute to their definition in cross-campus efforts. Leadership in this area includes creation and documentation of near-term and future state architectures, continual evolution of those architectures to meet changing business and technology goals and collaborative evaluation of project design artifacts in light of these goal architectures and industry best practices. This position will serve as a key technical expert in the evaluation of new technologies, applications and technical services and as such, will often serve as an SME advising Cross-Campus ARB, UIS Leadership Team and RFP committees and other purchasing bodies. This position will also work with Campus OIT partners to solve/architect technological challenges. The Assistant Director of Advanced Technology and Enterprise Architecture will report to the Director of Application Development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Execution of proof-of-concept or innovation-oriented technical efforts and projects to evaluate options, prove out the viability of new technologies or inform UIS and campus-based technical efforts
- Chair of the UIS Design Review Team and facilitates Open Design Lab
- Coordination of articulation of near-term and future state architectures for UIS services
- Continual re-evaluation of current platform, approach, and architectures to adapt to changing business and technical goals
- Collaborate with UIS PMO and ITSM group on process improvements initiatives
- Strategic Customer Relationship Management
- Proactively communicate with campus partners and build relationships to set expectations and understand CU's needs
- Facilitate collaboration, encourage knowledge, and process sharing
- Sit on Cross-Campus Architectural Review Board and Leadership Team Meeting when required to serve as a key technical resource
- Personnel Management of 1 FTE Data Architect to include coaching, mentoring, training, and setting direction for prioritization of tasks, including queue management
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
Who we are:
- Knowledge of project management best practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and obtain buy-in on UIS projects and ideas.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts with both business users and technical staff.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, must be adept at managing multiple competing projects/priorities, and must perform well as a collaborative member in a tightly knit team.
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $117,000 - $127,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Three (3) years of full-time or equivalent experience as a development manager and/or architect within an enterprise IT organization
- Three (3) years’ experience with the one of the following as a technical contributor administering/supporting/ using:
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Applications (e.g. HCM, Finance, Campus Solutions, CRM)
- Integration Platforms (e.g. Oracle Service Bus, WebMethods, etc)
- Cloud-based applications or Cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Oracle, Digital Ocean, etc
- Identity Management, Access and Provisioning systems (e.g. Oracle Identity Manager, SAML IDPs)
- Three (3) years’ experience including the following:
- Managing personnel, including developing/mentoring direct reports through performance reviews to ensure continuous improvement, high performance and employee retention
- Managing projects, services or processes within a department with proven ability to execute decisions using strategic and tactical skill-sets
- Working closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators through projects and operations; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style
- Masters or Ph.D. in Information Technology or Business
- Previous IT experience within an institution of Higher Education
- Experience with DevOps methodologies/technologies
- Experience with toolsets like Elastic Search, Kafka, and Apache open source technologies
- Experience with container technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Rancher, etc.
- Certification in Enterprise Architecture frameworks (TOGAF, Zachman, etc.)
- Previous experience with any of the following:
- UNIX/Linux systems
- Oracle Enterprise Databases
- Batch Scheduling systems (e.g. UC4)
- Business Intelligence and data management tools (e.g. MDM, Cognos, etc)
- Networking systems o Windows systems
- Software and integration architectures
Special Instructions to Applicants: For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Friday, May 4, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 4, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions: You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the “Job Specific Attachments” box next to each document on the “Required Documents” page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by May 4, 2018.