Job ID: 617564 Apply Today at WorkForIndiana.IN.Gov
Hire Salary will be commensurate with education and professional experience.
About the State of Indiana
Join U.S News & World Report’s #1 state government! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering applicants stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana’s communities every day.
About the Indiana State Department of Health
The Indiana State Department of Health’s mission is to promote and provide essential public health services for a healthier and safer state.
About the Job
The Laboratory Technician 2 performs various types of tests and related preparation as well as support functions in the Indiana State Department of Health Laboratories.
A Day in the Life
Representative duties may include:
- Conducts established viral, bacteriological and microscopic procedures, such as rabies necropsy, tissue impressions and direct fluorescent antibody staining.
- Performs duties in support of operations such as sample log in, filing lab notes, and preparation of reagents.
- Records results of analyses on prescribed forms.
- Performs data gathering of equipment for quality control purposes.
- Logs in and prepares samples for use in the appropriate laboratory area.
- Assists professional staff with supply inventory.
- General knowledge to conduct certain established laboratory procedures and assist professional staff in a wide range of established laboratory procedures both manual and automated.
- General knowledge of standard laboratory techniques and laboratory safety.
- Basic knowledge of current advancements in laboratory sample preparation and/or analysis as well as relevant equipment.
- Basic knowledge and compliance with all hospital, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations pertaining to laboratory operations (e.g. CLIA, HIPAA, Blood Borne Pathogen, etc.)
- Ability to pay close attention to detail that ensures testing accuracy.
- Ability to assist in administrative support tasks such as inventory, data entry and report filing and preparation.
- Ability to follow laboratory safety guidelines outlined in the ISDH Laboratory Safety and Biosafety manuals, including wearing all appropriate personal protective equipment required for specific job tasks.
- Performs other related work as required.
What ISDH is looking for
Two (2) years of full-time paid work experience, PLUS three (3) years of full-time paid experience in laboratory work. Substitutions: High School graduation or successful completion of the General Educational Development Test at the high school level will substitute for the required experience, EXCEPT for the laboratory experience, with a maximum substitution of two (2) years. Completion of an accredited vocational training program as a Laboratory Assistant may substitute for the required laboratory experience with a maximum substitution of one (1) year. Accredited college training may substitute for the required laboratory experience with a maximum substitution of three (3) years. (Fifteen (15) semester hours in a Biological Science or Chemistry required).
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- Medical / Dental / Vision plans
- Health Savings Account available - with Employer Contribution
- Prescription Coverage
- New Parent Leave Plan
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employer-funded Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Work/life balance: 24 Paid Days Off and 12 Holidays, per year
- Group Life Insurance
- Qualified Employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Lab Technician: 2 years (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)