Assuring a safe and secure learning environment in the Cedar Rapids Community School District is our number one priority. The School Security and Crisis Response Officer is responsible for collaborating with others to lead, organize, and maintain the safety and security efforts of the District as well as planning for and addressing crisis situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interprets, oversees, and communicates all security and safety policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Along with his/her supervisor, assures that all security and safety policies, procedures, and regulations are followed.
- In collaboration with appropriate personnel, develops crisis and emergency plans for the district and schools.
- Creates and updates all safety and security manuals in the District and at each school.
- Provides professional learning for all district and school staff in relation to crisis situations.
- Coordinates safety planning and practice to support academic processes of each school by creatively implementing best practices in safety, security, and emergency preparedness with proper adaptation to the environment, creativity and innovation so the process of education can be enhanced rather than impeded by safety efforts.
- Conducts and coordinates safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling, and/or facilitating training for staff, students, community members, and public safety officials relating to school safety, security and emergency preparedness.
- Works collaboratively with staff to create, articulate, and disseminate safety and security curriculum materials that are age appropriate for primary, intermediate, middle school and high school students.
- Contributes to a team effort by integrating safety, security and emergency preparedness measures into the organization’s daily practices in a manner supportive of all schools.
- Provides oversight, evaluation and documentation for safety, security and emergency preparedness training.
- Works collaboratively with insurance providers and district partners to conduct safety and security and emergency preparedness assessments by conducting and/or coordinating annual safety, security and emergency preparedness assessments of all schools and support facilities.
- Conducts safety and security planning with local law enforcement, local government planners, and first responders as appropriate.
- Assess resources and technology to support safety, security and crisis plans.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to contribute to the education, safety, and security of all students and staff in the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Ability to relate to others in a positive and professional manner.
- Capacity to respond to the needs of a diverse student and staff population.
- Capacity to work with others to provide student and staff learning and training.
- Ability to contribute positively to the productivity of teams.
- Interest and experience in teaming, in leading teams, and in collaborative decision-making.
- Capacity to develop and utilize oral and written channels of communication.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Proficiency in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and related communication skills, including proofreading, editing, and creating original documents.
- Ability to organize and manage details in an orderly and thorough manner.
- Willingness to assume responsibility and to be accountable for decisions.
- Ability to problem solve, take initiative and inspire others.
- Willingness to adjust to a flexible work schedule.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional Software (Excel, Access, Power Point and Word), Internet
- Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to respond effectively in crisis situations.
- Capacity to represent the District in a professional manner, which includes but not limited to confidentiality, collegiality, and the ability to obtain and utilize additional training, if necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Degrees in criminal justice, security management, or related field preferred.
- Job related experience within related field
- Three – five years of experience in law enforcement or security management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of security management, principles, best practices and related laws and policies required.
Contract: 260 days
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls; talk and hear. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and forward 0 to 24 inches and on occasion up to 36 inches. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp items. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 0 to 12 feet and occasionally up to 20 feet, such as curriculum materials, desks, chairs, and boxes. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables and carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus while supervising students and working with computers, written materials, reports, assessment data, etc.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet. The position requires the commitment of professional working hours that may require the employee to extend beyond a typical 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. workday. The employee will frequently work in different areas of the building including in/at desks, on or near the floor, standing, in movement while supervising students during indoor and outdoor activities, etc. The employee will usually work in indoor temperatures.
**The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
**The Cedar Rapids Community School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The district does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 /year
- Security: 3 years (Preferred)