This position is located in the Office of the Bureau Chief, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Federal Communications, Washington, DC.
Must be able to obtain and maintain Top Secret Clearance.
RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID.
Who may I contact for additional information?
Vicky Torres 202-418-0737 or Vicky.Torres@fcc.gov
The incumbent of this position serves as the Bureau’s Chief Engineer and functions as the senior advisor to the Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chiefs on all engineering and technical matters and performs specific assignments such as reviewing highly complex and/or controversial technical proposals and studies related to wireless telecommunications services, overseeing the development and execution of Bureau policy in technical areas, and representing the Bureau and the Commission in discussions with other Federal agencies, industry representatives, congressional staff members, consumer groups, and the general public.
Job family (Series)
0855 Electronics Engineering
Conditions of Employment
Must submit a financial disclosure statement upon assuming the position.
Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain Top Secret Clearance
Serve a probationary period of one year, if applicable.
Please note your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the vacancy questions. Your resume is an integral part of the process for determining if you meet the basic qualifications of the position and determining if you are to be among the best qualified.
Applicants must provide detailed evidence of possession of each of the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) listed below to assist reviewing officials in determining the best qualified candidates to be referred to the selecting official. FAILURE TO MEET OR ADDRESS ANY ONE OF THE MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS WILL ELIMINATE A CANDIDATE FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
The Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) for this position are:
1. Substantive knowledge of all of the technical aspects of wireless telecommunications services, including new and proposed technological changes, particularly as informed by substantial recent experience working with leading-edge technologists in the field.
2. Demonstrated technical and/or policy experience in two or more fields related to wireless engineering, including, at a minimum, RF design and/or wireless broadband network deployment, with exceptional communications skills needed to work with non-technical senior staff.
3. Substantive knowledge and skill advising and consulting with the highest level of management on two or more discrete areas of wireless engineering and spectrum issues, including, at a minimum, RF engineering and/or wireless broadband network deployment, both orally and in writing to negotiate, convince, settle, and resolve controversial issues and actions.
4. Demonstrated technical writing and teaching experience in RF engineering and/or wireless broadband network deployment, as demonstrated by successful publication in one or more Refereed Journals and by either teaching related engineering courses at the post-secondary level or presenting related material at recognized engineering conferences and/or symposiums.
5. Demonstrated sound, mature judgment and ability to relate engineering issues to policy, law, and economics, and to manage engineering issues in accordance with legislative or regulatory guidance, including skills in conveying recommendations through oral and written communications.
6. Expert knowledge and demonstrated experience working with new technologies associated with emerging and innovative communications and spectrum management activities, in order to serve as an agency/ organizational technical authority resolving unique and controversial problems related to wireless telecommunication services, and other telecommunications related services.
Degree Professional Engineering. To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
If you are qualifying based on positive education, please provide a copy of your college transcript. The transcript may be unofficial or photocopy at time of application, but MUST provide the original if selected.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order to receive credit towards qualifications. Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If selected, an official transcript will be required prior to appointment.
EEO Policy Statement Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement Veterans Information Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- Before hiring, an agency will ask you to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. The agency will also ask you to sign and certify the accuracy of all the information in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be fined or jailed. If you are a male over age 18 who was born after December 31, 1959, you must have registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) to be eligible for a Federal job.
- If applicable, you will be required to serve a trial period of one year.
- In order for you to be employed at the FCC, there are certain Commission and Federal laws governing the financial interests of you and members of your immediate family. If selected for the position, you must submit a financial disclosure statement upon assuming the position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your eligibility for consideration and qualifications for the position will be determined based upon a review of your detailed resume and your responses to job specific self-assessment questions including the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application materials that they possess technical attributes in the MTQs. Please note that the MTQs must be addressed individually and in narrative form. You will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Your application may be evaluated by a rating and ranking panel or Subject Matter Expert, and only highly qualified candidates will be submitted to the Selecting Official for further review and consideration.
Applicants will be rated ineligible, if they do not respond to job specific questions provide supplemental documents and submit resume. For more information, please click on Rating Process.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
***ALL SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE FCC'S HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. ONCE YOU APPLY TO THIS VACANCY YOU WILL BE PROMPTED BY THE SYSTEM TO EITHER UPLOAD DOCUMENTS OR PRINT FAX COVERSHEETS - THE FAX NUMBER WILL BE LISTED ON THIS SHEET. IF FAXING, ALL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED SHOULD BE FAXED SEPARATELY ON THE FAX COVERSHEET PROVIDED. ONCE FAXED, YOU SHOULD RECEIVE AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION WITHIN AN HOUR. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION, YOUR FAX HAS NOT BEEN SUCCESSFULLY RECEIVED AND YOU SHOULD FAX AGAIN.
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO FAX THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION, CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE AT 418-0130 PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.***
Supplement Documents Required:
Employees must provide a legible Personnel Action, SF-50, that verifies your status and highest permanently held grade along with your most recent annual performance appraisal.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.