- Interviews client, family and all pertinent parties to compile social histories and information relative to clients' presenting problems, environment, behavior patterns, etc. Under the direction and guidance of an attorney, obtain client and family release forms as needed to gather all service provider history. Provides psychosocial write-ups and case summaries to defense attorney.
- Collaborates with defense attorney, other units within the office, court personnel, social services agencies, psychologists, Franklin County Children Services, court appointed attorneys, prosecutors and other professionals to provide best possible dispositional outcomes for client. Remains in constant contact with these professionals and completes community visits when necessary.
- Aids defense attorney by assessing clients for possible competency evaluations, psychological testing, sex offender assessments, polygraphs and other assessments based on interview and psychosocial information gathered on the client.
- Proposes positive alternatives to incarceration, removal of children from the home and other penalties.
- Visits clients in the Juvenile Detention Center and residential treatment facilities to gather client information and monitor conditions of confinement; attends client’s team meetings while on probation; family assessment and Franklin County Children Services meetings to advocate on the clients’ behalf and gather information to aid in their case; and completes home visits and out of town travel when necessary.
- Educates clients on the workings of the court system and provide information and referrals on community and residential services to clients and families.
- Attends court hearings for all clients and works with defense attorney on defense strategy and on-going needs of the case. The social worker aids the client and attorney at all stages of the case.
- Maintains a knowledge of social agencies and their services and a line of communications with such agencies.
- Participates in Juvenile Court’s Specialty Dockets as needed.
- Performs other similar and related duties as may be designated by the Unit Chief, Social Work Supervisor or Attorneys.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,461.00 /year
- One year of experience in the field of social work: 1 year
- judicial system, counseling and knowledge of local agencies: 1 year