Position Summary: Responsible for, and dedicated to providing recognition, satisfaction and value to its residents, while facilitating the property’s objectives and satisfying the financial covenants of the Serenity Spa at Turnberry Ocean Colony. To guide, direct, oversee and lead all aspects and areas pertaining to the Spa and Fitness areas including member and guest service, staff supervision, programs, and administration and budget control. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. The Serenity Spa emphasizes a team approach and fully expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling Turnberry Ocean Colony’s objectives. On the whole, the Spa Director is responsible for, and dedicated to providing recognition, satisfaction and value to its members while striving to continuously improve efficiency, accuracy, maintain high productivity, employee morale and positive members and guest relations to ensure eminent standards of service and maximum profit.
- Develop and plan all Spa treatments and fitness concepts including a complete wellness, recreation, retail goods and massage departments, skin care and make-up, hydro-therapies, aroma therapies and salon services.
- Produce enjoyable and effective Spa, fitness, retail goods and recreation programs.
- Manages all areas of the Fitness division including activities, personal trainers and pools.
- Responsible for weekly, monthly and annual operational forecasts and revenue projections according to budget with regard to revenue, payroll and all Spa, recreation and fitness expenses, implementing inventory systems and controls and purchasing according to Turnberry Ocean Colony
- Prepares marketing strategies for all aspects of the Spa, fitness, wellness, retail goods and recreation programs.
- Provide ongoing training and motivation of fitness, wellness and Spa staff by certifications and regular staff meetings. Supervise and motivate team members to perform first-class service standards.
- Exhibits leadership and effective coaching that facilitates continuous learning and skill development of team members.
- Evaluate, measure and modify critical processes according to Turnberry Ocean Colony’s
- Directs and assures qualitative features of all fitness evaluations for members and guests.
- Assist members with medical conditions with special exercises and programs.
- Guides and gives direction for one-on-one fitness training services of the Serenity Spa.
- Responsible for ordering and purchasing supplies and equipment.
- Makes certain of supervision skills of fitness floor staffers and “cardio-theater” at all times.
- Manages all areas of the Spa, Wellness, Retail and Fitness divisions including activities, personal trainers, therapists, quiet lounge personnel, Front Desk staff and swimming pools.
- Oversees all Spa and fitness facilities and equipment functions.
- Oversee all administration and operational functions.
- Provides supportive leadership and effective coaching that facilitates continuous learning and skill development of team members
- Oversee maintenance and cleanliness of Spa, Salon, retail, aerobics, swimming pool and fitness facilities.
- Oversee inventory control of fitness facilities.
- Maintain a competent and motivated team via selection criteria.
- Daily use of learning Journal to promote on going evaluation of critical processes.
- Attend industry conferences and certifications to enhance knowledge and educate staff.
- Enforce tactfully and professionally all property rules, policies and procedures with members and staff. Serves as the primary resolution factor in member satisfaction situations.
- Perform training of all new exercise department instructors and personal trainers, Spa therapists, Front Desk, retailer staff, swimming pool lifeguards and the like.
- Communicate changes in programs (date, time, instructor) to members on a timely basis.
- Maintains and monitors work schedules for direct report team members and assist with overall team member daily schedules.
- Performs other job-related duties as directed.
- Maintain exceptional member relations and facilities by creating a quality environment through effective staffing, programming, service operations and maintenance.
- Recruit, select and develop a qualified staff to understand the relationship between value, member satisfaction and member retention/attrition.
- Create an excellent work environment, centered upon teamwork and mutual respect that is expected to focus upon member satisfaction, while producing desired fiscal outcome.
- Audit assets, maintenance procedures and safety practices in all areas of the department through the staffers to ensure a secure, safe environment is maintained.
- Assist in the development of Job Descriptions for all spa treatment positions.
- Coordinate with clinical services, programs, and promotions where appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of current thinking in treatments area, and see that treatment programs are continually up to date.
- Conduct regular formal spa staff meetings for purposes of informing, training and inspiring staff.
- Develop weekly schedules for all departmental staff.
- Preparation of payroll for employees.
- Purchase all supplies for all related facilities.
- Prepare monthly inventories and submit to Controller.
- Ensure that the all related facilities are clean and organized and that equipment is in good working condition and free of potential safety hazards.
- Follow up on all member and guest complaints.
- Must be completely trained on operating weight machines and electronic equipment to instruct members and guests on the proper usage.
- Must be completely trained on handling hazardous cleaning chemicals.
- Devise annual budget for the Spa.
- Set direction of the Spa regarding programs, services and policies.
- It is the Spa Director’s responsibility to know and adhere to all federal, state and local laws, as well as all policies and procedures contained in the manuals issued by the Serenity Spa or as otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to site employees.
- Prepares reports (written or typed) as necessary.
- Effectively follows operating procedures of property emergency system and bomb threats.
- Maintain awareness of all pertinent information regarding property personnel.
- Supervises the proper registration and departure of members and guests as necessary.
- Maintain key control procedures as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of all in-house functions and special events.
- Inform General Manager of any problems that arise.
- Adheres to all fire, safety, and security procedures according to property policies.
- Ensures that members and guest service is maintained at or above levels and that criticisms are dealt with in a professional, expedient and positive manner.
- Regular attendance is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Perform tasks in a team-based environment.
- Professionally represent the property at all times during shifts and/or when on property grounds for job related issues.
- Maintain property appearance criteria at all times.
- Adhere to all written mandatory standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, memos, oral instructions, all of which make up the essential functions of the job.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to work independently and willingness to learn. Ability to follow direction from superiors and members. Discipline to always remain calm, polite and in control. Ability to keep accurate records.
- Because of the fluctuating demands of the Serenity Spa’s operation, it may be necessary that each team member perform a multitude of different functions; therefore, as an essential part of your position, you will be expected to assist others when the occasion arises. Accordingly, this individual may be expected to perform other tasks as needed or as directed.
- Must teach a wide variety of classes.
- Must be CPR certified.
- Ability to multi-task between member’s requests, operational issues and team member needs.
- Must be able to work at a rapid pace, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Must be skilled in time management.
- Able to handle stress arising from management of operations.
- Able to work independently and exercise judgment to resolve personnel and production issues that arise during daily operations.
- Must have a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Must exhibit a FIVE STAR Service attitude, willing to go out of the way to accommodate and exceed the needs of the members.
- Must exhibit enthusiasm for the job and for the property.
- Must maintain a character of professionalism and communicate through appropriate lines of communication.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English with members, guests, and the public, customers and fellow employees and maintain a good interpersonal relationship.
- Able to create and write required reports.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide accurately.
- Able to calculate percentages, ratios and proportions.
- Ability to use and operate computer keyboards, registers, fax machine, copier, typewriter, and 10-digit calculator.
- Knowledge of property’s amenities and services offered.
Stand or walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of day. Estimate 60% of time is spent on feet and 40% sitting at desk. Have frequent need (33%-66% of time) to perform the following activities:
Bend/stoop/squat Various fitness instruction/techniques
Climb Stairs Inspect property
Push or Pull Various fitness instruction/techniques
Reach above shoulders Inspect property, store supplies
Have frequent need (33% to 66% of time) to perform standing and walking activities related to inspecting and presenting property. Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to perform the following physical activities:
Writing/Typing Inter-office, members communications
Grasping/Turning Telephone / doorknob use
Finger Dexterity Operation of office equipment/various spa treatments
Lifting/Carrying (paperwork, deliveries, books, files)
Over 25 lbs. Occasional need (1% to 33% of time)
Between 10 lbs. - 25 lbs. Occasional need (1% to 33% of time)
Less than 10 lbs. Frequent need (33% to 66% of time)
- Vision Requirements: Use of full range peripheral vision. Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to complete forms, read and review reports, wide variety of correspondence, view computer screen. Frequent need to see small detail. Frequent need (33% to 66% of time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach (inspecting property, neighborhood survey).
- Hearing Requirements: Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to communicate over telephone and in person with vendors, staff, members and prospects.
- Driving Requirements: Infrequent need (5% to 13% of time).
- Working Environment: Usually indoors. (66% to 100% of time).
- Reasoning Development: Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of individuals. Must be able to work at a fast pace, perform duties while under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner, to interact/communicate with other site employees, members, visitors and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science Degree (Sports Medicine) or equivalent. Additional education in health science, fitness field or related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five (5) years experience as a destination Spa, resort or private Serenity Spa leader with full service wellness, nutritional and pampering concepts. In addition, thorough knowledge of fitness industry, exercise physiology, exercise equipment, Spa programs, nutritional concepts, marketing and retailing.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Must pass security background check and meet the pre-employment drug-free workplace conditions of the Serenity Spa. Must possess certification in the areas of fitness such as: ACSM, ACE, AFFA, NASM. Active member of ISPA.
Must pass a background security check and meet the pre-employment drug-free workplace conditions of the Serenity Spa.
Job Type: Full-time
- Spa/Club/Resort/Hotel Management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Sunny Isles Beach, FL (Preferred)
- English, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian (Preferred)