Director of Engineering-
What we’re looking for:
Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) seeks a highly organized, mechanical and technical candidate for the role of Director of Engineering.
Under the general direction of the AVP, Capital Planning and Projects, the incumbent directs the design, construction and maintenance projects for RIOC managed facilities and outdoor spaces. Responsible for developing capital and maintenance budgets and long-range plans based on company growth and future facility's needs. Oversees the functioning of RIOC managed building systems including mechanical systems, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and HVAC.
What you'll do:
- Oversee project implementation of capital improvements and maintenance work to ensure completion within established time frames, scope and budget. Research new products, laws, regulations to promote efficiency and ensure RIOC policies and practices are current.
- Supervise technical staff responsible for the development and management of capital improvement projects. Provide technical review of all proposed design and construction documents prior to issuance for bid. Ensure proposed work is compliant with all local/state/federal regulations. Review and approve inspection reports prepared by staff and others. Present project information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as RIOC liaison overseeing the operations, maintenance and third-party vendor relationship for the Aerial Tramway and the AVAC garbage system.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify issues, implement and maintain services and/or programs. Coordinate upcoming capital and maintenance work with special event operations to ensure required facilities are functional.
- Supervise maintenance staff responsible for improvement of RIOC managed property (building and outdoor facilities) including but not limited to mechanical systems, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, drainage systems, field lighting, path lighting and water supply).
- Identify and report unsafe or deficient conditions to the appropriate stakeholders. Prepare scope of work and capital needs estimates or maintenance work ticket to remedy deficiencies. Schedule work and oversee processing of internal ticketing system to ensure timely completion.
- Develop long and short-range maintenance plans/programs (e.g. emergency response plans, energy management plans, annual budget, etc.), to ensure RIOC resources are effectively utilized and remain in a proper state of good repair.
- Approve payment requests for work completed by vendors, including but not limited to, A/E firms, plumbers, electricians, contractors, elevator maintenance and others. Monitor fund balances and related financial activity to ensure expenses are within budget limits and best fiscal practices are followed.
- Inspect completed work and new equipment for compliance and adherence to the prescribed specifications. Prepare regular reports for executive team outlining and analyzing performance metrics. Include recommendations for improvements in productivity.
- Perform personnel functions (e.g., interviewing, evaluating, supervising, etc.) to maintain adequate staffing, enhance productivity of personnel and achieve objectives. Recommend new hires, promotions, termination and transfers as required to adequately staff the unit.
- Ensure subordinate staff fulfills all training requirements as designated and suggest additional training opportunities and professional growth where appropriate.
What you’ll bring:
- Sound technical understanding of mechanical, civil and structural engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft suite software, AutoCAD and maintenance/project work ticket reporting systems.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or master’s degree in engineering (M. Eng) required. Profession Engineer licensure (P.E.) preferred.
- Five to seven years of mechanical engineering and construction/facilities management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of managerial or supervisory experience.
What we offer:
This is a full-time administrative position with a salary range from $105,000 to $120,000 annually.
A highly competitive benefits package, including:
Fully-paid health, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Paid holidays, sick and vacation days
- Commuter benefit programs, including, transit check or free parking on RIOC
- Retirement savings plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts (medical and dependent care)
- Employee Assistance Program
- LTD and Life Insurance Programs
- Exciting work environment with a beautiful view of Manhattan and Long Island City
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and resume with the subject line: Director of Engineering via email to the HR staffing email already listed for this post. RIOC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, RIOC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $105,000.00 to $120,000.00 /year
- Engineering: 5 years (Required)
- AutoCAD: 1 year (Preferred)