The Cell Press Media & Communications Office is offering a winter science writing/press office internship for current graduate students or those who recently finished a graduate program. The program is designed to give you the full experience of being a press officer at a major publishing operation. You will also learn how a scientific paper goes from the laboratory to a story in a major media outlet, and you will have the opportunity to collaborate with other business teams, including marketing, commercial sales, editorial, and production. By the end of the internship, you will walk away with 20+ clips from press releases, blog posts, and social media experience.
Tasks will include:
- Writing press releases about research published in Cell Press journals and acting as the press contact.
- Developing blog and marketing content.
- Developing and posting Cell Press social media content.
- Completing miscellaneous projects as assigned by Media Relations Manager.
- A capstone project to be determined by your interests.
At the end of the internship, you should add to your working knowledge of how to strategize, develop, and execute PR campaigns for various audience segments, write compelling PR content for the web, and measure and analyze campaign outcomes.
Ideal Candidate Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate for the internship will:
- Be studying for or have completed a Master’s in Public Relations, Journalism, Biology or Chemistry. A demonstrated interest in science is a plus.
- Have experience preparing and telling a science/health story (specifically pitching, conducting interviews, and writing pieces of journalism or public relations materials).
- Have proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Have work experience within an office environment.
- Be comfortable working alone as well as with a team, know how to juggle many time-sensitive tasks, be able to proactively seek information to complete a project, and be able to maintain a friendly attitude while dealing with the high number of requests received from journalists and institutions from around the world.
Due to the competitive nature of the internship, you may be asked to take a writing test and provide the names of two references if you are a finalist.
Internship Position and Timing
The Science Writing/Press Office Intern reports to Senior Media & Communications Manager Joseph Caputo and works in the Elsevier office at 50 Hampshire Street, Floor 5, Cambridge, Massachusetts. No housing or relocation assistance. A laptop is provided.
The internship is 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is a work from home option on Wednesdays. Start and end dates are flexible, but the internship lasts from January through May.
$15/hr - Contractor
No permanent position is available at the end of the internship, although candidates will be considered for available positions/freelancing opportunities should they apply and performance/circumstances warrant it. A concurrent content marketing / social media internship is also available for winter 2019 and qualified candidates may be considered for that position.
Applications are due November 12.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.