- Multiple Locations and/or Remote are available
Skyward Specialty is a property and casualty insurance holding company formed in 2007. Based in Houston, Texas, and with staff throughout the country, Skyward Specialty provides admitted and non-admitted solutions to retail and wholesale distributors, managing general agents and captive markets. We have built highly respected businesses in specialty lines including management professional liability, medical stop loss, surety, E&S property and liability, and large commercial property, as well as multi-line solutions for the energy, trucking and construction industries.
At Skyward Specialty, we approach this business differently. In fact, we’re different from most others in our industry in just about every way. We have the spirit of a start-up with the security of nearly $1 billion in Written Premium. We put immense brain power and energy into finding greater insights to uncover better opportunities for our clients, partners, and people. We think at a higher level, so they can succeed at a higher level.
Skyward Specialty is a privately owned company with assets exceeding $1.95 billion and shareholders’ equity of $395 million at December 31, 2020.
Responsibilities: Responsible for underwriting quality control and assurance for various professional lines units to maximize return on equity and assure underwriting integrity, governance, and process control. Provide product development and oversight support in collaboration with business unit management and underwriters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct underwriting file reviews to confirm divisional underwriters and MGUs, respectively, are operating within their delegated authority set forth by company guidelines and within confines of company reinsurance treaties.
- Conduct portfolio reviews to confirm divisional underwriters and MGUs, respectively, are operating within the appropriate regulatory environment and according to applicable and state rules and filings.
- Assist in creating or revising underwriting guidelines and practices to align with company appetite and goals.
- Assist in developing, updating, and monitoring the execution of underwriting authority grants.
- Assist with corporate underwriting referrals as needed.
- Assist in analyzing and developing new products, pricing, or coverage as needed. Assist in analyzing loss trends in various divisions and evaluating any potential corporate impact.
- Help provide training to various underwriting teams, as may be required.
- Remain current on industry issues and insurance marketplace news that could impact the success of the company and the achievement of its goals and objectives.
- Participate or advise in reinsurance audits and file reviews, as necessary.
- Participate in any underwriting due diligence of new programs or opportunities as may be requested.
- Assist in systems testing as required.
Qualifications: Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree - Insurance designations or certifications preferred.
- 15+ years’ experience in professional lines underwriting and product development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw intelligent, valid conclusions.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment to manage multiple projects and timelines across a variety of stakeholders and to meet target deliverable deadlines.
- Sound knowledge of property and casualty regulatory rating and rules in both the admitted and non-admitted carrier environment.
- Ability to analyze and present technical underwriting and claims data in a comprehensive manner.
Location: 1701 Golf Road,Suite 1-1112, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
Job Type: Full-time