Bowhead is seeking a Gunsmith to support its ARL contract in Aberdeen, MD. The Gunsmith is responsible for assisting engineers, scientists, and team members with novel and complex designs of small arms and unique weapon technologies, integrated testing equipment and configurations, and leveraging competence in translating those unique postulates into relevant solutions. The gunsmith will work in both team and independent environments, deliver quality products, and oftentimes, support rapid response efforts.
Essential functions include:
Requirements Candidate must possess:
- Using armorer and machinist tools and gauges to inspect, maintain, repair, and fabricate small arms weapons and components.
- Perform repairs on foreign and domestic standard and non-standard weapons
- Build custom rifles, pistols, barrels, receivers, and other components from specifications, technical drawings, and collaborative concepts.
- Perform basic shop safety procedures and other remedial duties.
- A high school diploma or equivalent in addition to ten (10) years of experience.
- Completed training at an accredited gunsmith course, documented gunsmith apprenticeship, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated experience and high precision capability with lathes, programmable mills, dimensional surface grinding, and other equipment relevant to this discipline.
- A thorough understanding of both military and civilian firearm systems and operations.
- Knowledge of ballistic theories, metallurgy, weapon coatings and finishes.
- Ability to fabricate special jigs, fixtures and other special tooling.
- Capability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Intermediate level skills in Microsoft Office software suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts.
- Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED:
- Certification to operate Government and Team Bowhead Equipment and Vehicles
Must currently hold a security clearance at the Secret level. US Citizenship is a requirement for Secret clearance at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.