What makes Gartner Research & Advisory a GREAT fit for you? When you join Gartner Research & Advisory, you’ll be part of a leading-edge team that values expert insights, bold ideas and intellectual courage. You’ll deliver must-have research through compelling client interactions, and contribute to our double-digit growth by providing our clients worldwide the unbiased insight they need to make the right decisions on their key initiatives. Through constant learning, discovery and collaboration you’ll not only help clients deliver on their mission critical priorities, you’ll grow your career and the scope of your impact across industries. Our culture demands hard work — and rewards it with exceptional opportunity. If you’re always looking for what’s next in business and technology, Gartner is looking for you.
Research Director, Data Security, Flexible Location, Gartner Research
What makes Gartner Research a GREAT fit for you?
- You are a team player who values expert insights, bold ideas and intellectual courage.
- You are always learning and looking to discover what s next in security technology management.
- You pursue personal excellence through team collaboration and consensus.
If this describes you, Gartner is looking for you! Gartner is an upbeat culture based on collaboration, teamwork, integrity and objectivity that values creativity and innovation. As a Gartner analyst, you ll not only help clients solve complex challenges and deliver on key initiatives, you ll grow your career and the scope of your impact across industries. We work hardand we reward success with exceptional opportunity.
About this role:
This role creates thought leading research in the context of data security, which includes data security governance, data access and control, data protection technologies as well as information-centric protection for our IT Leaders clients through publications, conversations with clients (Inquiry), stage presentations, teleconferences, and client meetings. It is important that you have a vision for how data security in new technology environments will evolve worldwide and at a regional level.
What you ll do:
As a Gartner analyst you will meet with clients every day:
on the phone, in a video-conference, from the stage at a Gartner event or face-to-face during a sales support visit. In every client interaction analysts help clients solve difficult puzzles that lead to better performance. To support these conversations you will research markets, practices and trends and produce written research for Gartner clients to download and apply.
What you ll need:
- Conduct research and analysis in specific areas of expertise targeting client s key initiatives.
- Deliver high quality actionable advice through a variety of media.
- Write high quality, clear, actionable, advisory research documents.
- Predict how data security markets are developing, help clients in their selection process and assist vendors in overall market positioning.
- Remain ahead of the curve on developments and issues within these specified areas as well as applicable adjacent areas.
- Respond to client questions, create materials for and deliver to clients in person, via teleconference, video conference or webinar and event presentations
- Maintain the Gartner s industry leadership reputation by responding to press inquiries
- Proactively work with the wider sales organization and deliver outstanding sales support in order to retain and grow the business
It helps to be obsessed with your topic! Gartner analysts are correctly viewed as THE experts. This means you need to know your markets, vendors, trends, management practices, etc. and be able to see the forest and the trees. Most Gartner analysts have many years of experience and enjoy solving puzzles.
Job Requisition ID:
- Subject matter expertise in data security, with the ability to demonstrate understanding of the business applications and opportunities in that market. Knowledge of the global landscape, and the competitive interplay between incumbents, emerging providers, disruptors and outsourcers
- Experience with data security in data and analytics environment, including traditional BI and evolving big data platforms on premise and in the cloud.
- Familiarity with data security in emerging and current technology environments, such as Big Data, key management, cloud storage, Operational Technology (OT), IoT devices and mobile platforms
- Experience with requirements for secure data processing in the form of privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR), regulations specific to cloud computing and other data-specific security standards (e.g. PCI DSS)
- Subject matter expertise in data classification and related products and technologies
- Subject matter expertise in technologies that enable identities to access data in a controlled a protected way
- Experience with technologies that detect and prevent the loss and leakage of data, including data loss prevention in cloud environments
- Experience in managing data security programs, which includes governance, policies, training, metrics and reporting
- Foundational understanding of related security technologies such as application security, network security, endpoint security
- Understanding of how data is used securely in a business context, including information governance, digital rights management and information-centric protection across a variety of online and offline platforms
- Demonstrated superior analytical skills, applying conceptual models, recognizing patterns while drawing and defending conclusions. Strong business and financial acumen as well as analytical skills are required for this position
- Articulate and succinct communication skills. Publishing and Speaking engagements an advantage
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a research or technology related role
- Bachelor's or equivalent experience, Master's degree preferred
- Ability to conduct occasional travel, regionally and globally
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link:
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.