Sutherland Mortgage Services, Inc. is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to join our underwriting team operating within the Ultra High Net Worth (“UHNW”) space, on location in Plano, TX. The candidate will possess exceptional underwriting skills with excellent oral and written communication abilities. The UHNW Underwriter is responsible for UHNW credit decisions from the initial application through the complete mortgage for Private Bankers that support their Private Wealth Managers and UHNW clients.
- Underwrite complex residential mortgage loans for UHNW clients.
- Perform complex income analysis through review of income tax returns, personal financial statements, supporting income tax return schedules, cash flow and leverage, and asset statements.
- Earn delegated credit authority to approve loans within delegated credit authority limits and in accordance with credit policy.
- Prepare and present credit exception requests to Senior Management, documenting specific exceptions to credit policy and compensating factors.
- Suggest appropriate deal structures and communicate directly with Private Bankers about documentation requirements.
- Independently suggest appropriate deal structure.
- Be able to suggest alternate structures and create counter offers as additional facts become known.
- Work with Quality Assurance on all loan files where an exception to credit policy was granted and other loan files selected for review.
- At least 5+ years of residential mortgage underwriting experience with extensive exposure to conventional UHNW or jumbo mortgages.
- Experience working on transactions for high profile clients, and ultra high net worth clients.
- Ability to analyze complex business and personal tax returns, along with personal financial statements and understanding of contingent liabilities.
- Knowledge of Entity Lending; i.e. irrevocable trusts, assets and/or property in corporate entities, etc.