HVAC Service Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Maintain HVAC Systems
Many of the HVAC service technician’s day-to-day duties involve performing regular or routine maintenance tasks on HVAC systems. These tasks can include clearing intake and outflow vents of dust and debris, ensuring that filtration systems are clean and effective, and replacing registers in residential or commercial locations. An HVAC service technician may also perform seasonal maintenance as a building’s system switches between heating and cooling functions.
Troubleshoot HVAC Equipment
Troubleshooting HVAC systems and system elements is another major duty of the HVAC service technician. Working from issues reported by customers or problems that arise during routine maintenance and system testing, the HVAC service tech attempts to determine which components are at fault. These technicians then determine whether the system or element can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.
Repair and Replace HVAC Systems
HVAC technicians perform a variety of repairs for HVAC systems, ranging from simple parts replacements to complex issues that require a complete replacement of the HVAC system. If an entire system needs to be replaced, the HVAC service technician needs to install and test all new components. For simple repairs, they may replace one or more parts and conduct new tests to ensure that the repairs have restored the system to working order.
Consult with Customers
HVAC service technicians frequently consult directly with customers, both to gather information about performance issues and to provide cost and time estimates related to repair and maintenance tasks. Throughout the repair process, these technicians may also provide the customer with updates, answer questions about the system, and provide advice on operations and maintenance. In some cases, the HVAC service techs may also provide contract documents and collect payments.
Ensure Safe Repair and Operations
While diagnosing and repairing HVAC systems, the service technicians also maintain safe operations and follow best practices for safely working with the system. In most cases, this includes disconnecting the system from its power source to reduce the risk of electric shock. They may also ensure that the areas around the system are dry and free of clutter. For oil and gas-based heating systems, HVAC technicians also ensure that the fuel systems are disconnected before starting repair work.
Maintain Customer and Service Records
HVAC technicians also maintain documentation related to customer systems and the services they perform. This helps to ensure that maintenance is performed according to schedule, and it also provides data related to ongoing or recurring issues with the system. HVAC technicians may also prepare documents for customers, including troubleshooting steps they can take between regular maintenance.
Job Types: Full-time, Commission
Pay: $45,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- hvac: 1 year (Preferred)
- maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- service technician: 1 year (Preferred)
- hvac service: 1 year (Preferred)
- service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Holidays required
- Day shift
- 12 hour shift
- On call