Sol Systems is seeking a Director of Technical Advisory who will lead the Engineering team in providing technical guidance during the project development phase while supporting Project Finance during the closing process. The primary goal is to manage a team of engineers and be responsible for minimizing execution or operational risk, while finding technical solutions to create value. Ideally, the candidate will have experience managing a team of engineers, along with expertise with design and engineering within a solar focused EPC or independent engineering environment. This multi-faceted role will involve project level technical diligence, project development engineering, construction and operations.
- Provide technical leadership in support of all stakeholders' interests, including investors, syndicators, origination and development teams.
- Manage a team of engineers to carry out technical due diligence in support of project development and investment opportunities.
- Provide strategic vision for the Engineering team, creating and implementing processes that guide the technical work product from development through to operations.
- Oversee execution and operational risk management to ensure the delivery of the PV system meets prudent industry standards and commercial targets are aligned with the goals of the investment.
- Perform energy modeling studies using tools such as PVsyst and Helioscope to ensure production targets are reasonable for both near term and long term goals.
- Conduct site visits and inspections prior to or in support of project acquisitions/investments.
- Write investor reports and memorandums based on technical due diligence, market research, stakeholder engagements, and site specific considerations.
- Maintain an organized and clearly documented set of project specific technical deliverables, to support the Project Delivery team.
- Support investment transactions to achieve Financial Close, including drafting of technical contractual terms.
- Working with the project development team to provide engineering deliverables for key development items, which may include preparing preliminary layouts, technology selection, site studies, feasibility studies, preparing interconnection applications and project cost estimation.
- Source and manage external consultants and partners, including developing Scope of Work documents, managing RFP process, and controlling scope and schedule to deliver studies.
- Supporting Construction team from Financial Close to COD with technical review and commissioning testing advice.
- Supporting Asset Management and Operations through collaboration with monitoring equipment vendors, O&M providers and data analytics.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, resourceful and capable of managing multiple personnel and projects in various phases of development, installation, or operation. They are also extremely organized, process oriented, communicate well in verbal and written format, and are generally comfortable across various project applications, technologies, and segments. A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
Location & Hours:
- Team oriented
- A sense of humor
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Applied Sciences
- 5 years of experience in PV system design and engineering
- Ability to view engineering and technical matters through a commercial lens
- Able to travel approximately 10% of the time, as required by project location and type
- Versatile across rooftop, canopy systems, ground mount projects and experienced in both distributed generation and utility type projects
- Resourceful and knowledgeable in technical due diligence and can exercise appropriate levels of risk assessment based on varying financial vehicles and project types
- Comfortable and accustomed to engaging varying project stakeholders including Investors, EPC partners, Developers, and O&M partners
- Strong understanding of energy modeling, solar resource assessments and is capable of advising internal and external stakeholders to achieve agreeable and achievable targets
- Experienced in working with 3rd party Independent Engineering firms
- Generally versed in PV system engineering and design, maintains a working knowledge of industry best practices, and has a strong understanding of solar PV technology
- Can develop written work products that are thoughtful, organized, and creates content appropriate to the respective audience
- Can clearly demonstrate strong technical expertise in written and verbal communication
- EPC cost estimating or CAD drafting experience will be viewed favorably but not essential
This position will be based at Farragut North in Washington, DC. This position is full-time with a required 5 days a week. Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other trait. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Commitment & Compensation:
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, transportation benefits, education benefits, paid vacation and federal holidays, plus the opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
We hope to hire for this position immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.