Savannah Riverboat Cruises, the Southeast’s premier operator of passenger vessels offering Dinner, Sightseeing, Wedding and Charter cruises onboard 600 to 1000 passenger vessels from 150’ to 23’ in length is seeking vessel captain. This role requires extreme precision and resourcefulness while operating vessels on coastal tidal waters along the narrow deep draft shipping channel of the Savannah River and Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway
The Master directs the Vessel’s activities and operates the vessel safely and efficiently while supervising onboard employees. This position serves as the primary contact onboard the vessel with the USCG concerning compliance with laws and regulations. The Master administers training and drills aboard the vessel, and this position ensures a high level of customer service is provided.
Duties & Responsibilities
Safety and Security
- Monitor waterways, vessel, and passengers to ensure safety during vessel operation.
- Conduct and supervise onboard training and routine drills.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, life preservers, work vest).
- Ensure safety equipment is available and in proper working order and that all personnel have proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Document and report safety related concerns or incidents.
- Ensure safe and efficient operation of the vessel.
- Direct the vessel’s activities to ensure passengers’ safety and security while vessel is docked and underway.
- Plan and coordinate safety inspections of the Vessel to insure safe operation of equipment, crew safety and compliance with USCG laws and regulations.
- Train and provide feedback for evaluation of the performance of marine crew.
- Ensure all inspections by the USCG meet the standard (no 835s) insofar as is practicable.
- Ensure vessel(s) maintain a COI inspection ready condition at all times.
- Ensure vessel(s) are kept in appropriate satisfactory condition and maintenance work is done unobtrusively while guests are onboard.
- Maintain radio watch and monitor VHF channels 13 and 16.
- Guarantee a physically safe and environmentally sound working environment – proper tools, training, facilities and materials for all crewmembers; conduct weekly emergency drills.
- Ensure that the safety of our guests and crewmembers is maximized through careful and vigorous definition, administration and enforcement of safety policies and guidelines. Coordinate emergency response.
- Develop strong relationships with appropriate crewmembers and represent the Company at meetings and other functions as requested.
- Participate in meetings, training, drills and safety audits as required by USCG & company policy.
- Ensure vessel is secure and prior to departure from evening shift.
- Assure quality workmanship and performance by crewmembers.
- Ensure employees are properly uniformed, demonstrate appropriate attitudes, are technically competent in their area of responsibility, that all crewmembers are providing their best efforts, and that we have identified and are using their skills to the company’s best advantage.
Human Resources (HR)
- Understand the Employee Handbook and adhere to policies.
- Ensure that all company policies are understood by, valued and followed by employees.
- Maintain Crew Qualification binder.
- Remain attentive to regulatory requirements and alert to regulatory changes.
- Ensure vessel is in an inspection-ready condition at all times.
- Present professional level of customer service and appearance to all passengers
- Perform other duties as assigned which may include special projects as directed by General Manager.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- HS Diploma
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent of experience, from an accredited institution preferred Professional Certification(s) or License: *
- U.S.C.G. license endorsed as Master of Motor Vessels of at least 100 gross tons
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver’s License Skills & Abilities: *
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, guests, and fellow employees.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to develop and execute innovative solutions to crew management and morale issues
- Demonstrated ability to bring increased value to task through efficiencies and cost-control
- Computer literacy with MS Office software knowledge Experience: *
- 3 years’ experience in the passenger vessel industry demonstrating the ability to handle growing levels of responsibility
- Excellent career record in marine industry.
- Other: *
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. This job description is not to be construed as an all-inclusive list of all activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee. All duties, responsibilities, or activities may be changed, as well as additional duties assigned, at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year