Your career starts here! The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) is hiring officers. If you are new to law enforcement, you will be hired as a Police Recruit and attend the San Jose Police Academy before becoming a SJPD Officer. Police Recruits are paid $39.29 an hour while attending the Police Academy and are considered a City of San Jose employee.
Out of Area / Out of State Applicants
The San Jose Police Department offers “All-in-One” weekend testing for out-of-area / state applicants who live THREE (3) OR MORE HOURS from the City of San Jose or are active military personnel. “All-in-One” weekend testing allows eligible applicants to complete all testing phases applicable to the position for which they are applying.
· No experience or training required
· At least 20 ½ years-old at the time of application
· U.S. high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED); waived if you have a college degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
· Forty (40) semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from a U.S. accredited college or university.
Ø Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can substitute four (4) years of service in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement
· Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
· Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license
· Must have at least 20/40 corrected vision
· No felony, domestic violence or misdemeanor assault convictions; cannot currently be on probation or parole
· Paid Academy training for Police Recruit of $40.47/hour
· Annual base pay range for Police Officer with required POST training completed in the SJPD Academy: $98,051 to $152,415*
· Paid vacation and sick time accrual annually
· Annual uniform allowance of $675
· Four-day work-week, ten-hour shifts
· Bilingual pay – 2.5%
*7 annual steps - effective 7/20/19)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $98,051.00 to $152,415.00 /year