Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food and beverage industry supply chain, and to play our part in ensuring families across the US and overseas can sit down together to eat.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 170+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Canada. In North America we have over 13,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
The Americold Summer Internship is a 12-week, full-time, paid assignment that takes place over the summer months. During this time, our Interns gain valuable knowledge related to their area of interest (i.e. Operations, Distribution, Finance, Internal Audit, etc.), while contributing to one of the COOLest business sectors. The internship includes assignments on challenging and industry-specific projects, plus the opportunity to network with organizational leaders, colleagues, and peers.
As an Americold Intern, the experience you will gain here will not only be essential to your professional growth and development, but your talents will make a vital difference for our company, too.
Essential Functions / Areas of Learning include:
- Learn and support continuous improvement initiatives across facility operations to maximize the effectiveness of resources, processes and technology to drive sustainable results.
- Assist with developing metrics and return on investment (ROI).
- Assist with benchmarking and establishing best practices.
- Collect data, analyze processes, procedures and performance (equipment or people).
- Utilizes CI tools (i.e. Root Cause, value-stream mapping, leading Kaizen events, waste walks, etc.) and make recommendation(s) based upon analysis to further business goals.
- Learn and champion CI philosophy, attitude and behaviors.
- Assist in educating and training appropriate resources on CI methodology and tools.
- Utilize common process improvement techniques to analyze operations.
- Partner with various levels of management to assess and identify improvement opportunities.
- Participate in external process audits.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications/Additional Skills & Abilities:
- Current undergraduate students at Junior or Senior level with studies in the areas of Engineering, Supply Chain/Logistics, or Business Administration
- Prior intern and/or work experience internship
- Demonstrated leadership in work and/or academics
- Project management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact comfortably at all levels of the organization including with senior level leaders
- Excellent technical skills including a strong command of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Quantitative Data Analysis aptitude: enjoys working with numeric data, can synthesize quantitative data to draw business conclusions. Possesses good basic mathematical skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented, dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must possess a strong customer service orientation with high sense of urgency in meeting goals and deadlines.
- Ability to influence and think creative and strategically
- Ability to analyze and problem solving
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on business needs (internships range from 20-40 hours per week).
- Must be able to commute to other facilities in the surrounding area and travel to our corporate office in the Atlanta, GA
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Requires the ability to sit and standing for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
- Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
- Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
- Working environment is usually in a frozen distribution and /or office setting, temperatures at or below freezing.
- Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
- Requires the use of various electronic tools
- Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
- Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from management
- Some local travel required.
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.
Apply for this job online
Refer this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $16.00 /hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Are you a junior or senior in college majoring in business administration or engineering?
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks - learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)