Sodexo is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented Unit Controller 3 for The College of William & Mary located in beautiful and historic Williamsburg, VA.
At 326 years old, William & Mary is the second oldest institution of higher education in the nation, but also a cutting-edge research university. William & Mary is one of only eight "Public Ivy" institutions.
***RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE***
This position will oversee all financial responsibilities for campus dining operations for a $19M account. Candidates will need experience in complex contracts, unit finances and strong client relations skills. Universities and operations experience is preferred. The Unit Controller will report to the Resident District Manager and could have up to 4 office staff reporting to them. They will provide unit financial support for weekly financial projections, the budget process, financial forecasting, period close, and financial reporting. This position will serve as the primary point of contact for unit finance questions. The Unit Controller contributes to the strategic direction of the financial reporting function and success of the overall operations.
In addition, The Unit Controller will also analyze operating and financial statement information, as well as analyze, develop, document, and implement departmental accounting policies, procedures, and systems, and make recommendations for improvement, and maintain accuracy of databases to produce accurate financial results, including contractual liabilities, train and mentor others on the financial acumen of this account.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills/experience:
Strong financial acumen with prior Unit Controller experience in a large dining environment;
Knowledge of step commissions, board billing for block meal plans, subcontract billing, and deferred income logs;
Experience supporting and training unit operators on various finance procedures including forecasting, budget process, and various reporting tools;
Excellent organization skills (ability to prioritize and maintain core responsibilities/accountability) in order to meet all required timelines, attention to detail and the ability to work in a high pressure environment;
Ability to understand, interpret and explain contract language;
Reconciliation of multiple internal accounting systems (Client and Sodexo);
Responsible for cash control, cash handling, and internal audits;
Creating documents, spreadsheets, reports and presentations for clients & General Manager
Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
Must possess a high degree of initiatives (revenue growth and cost reduction ideas);
Payroll systems (ADP and Kronos preferred);
Builds strong relationships with all levels of the organization to ensure operational effectiveness with excellent communication and interpersonal skills in a diverse community;
Responsibilities to ensure integrity, diligence and accuracy of financial results for Client and Sodexo.
Manages all accounting and financial matters for large multi-size national account or a large complex single location account
- Examine Unit financial records to verify details of recorded transactions. Examine financial records to verify details of recorded transactions. Analyze and interpret budgeting trends.
- Assist in the implementation of corrective action plans developed during an audit. Assist in the monthly/quarterly/year-end close process to ensure accuracy and integrity of results at the unit/district/region/division level. Plan or assist in planning annual or project-specific budgets
- Generate special reports and respond to data requests from management. Prepare and review reports and other written documentation. Actively listen to concerns and requests of customers and strategic partners, which helps to identify their needs and requirements and to resolve their problems.
- Perform unit audits. Perform ad hoc financial analysis for Unit/District management. Participate in the audit process, including assisting in identifying and resolving audit-related issues.
- Conduct training on internal controls. Train accountants and field in contract interpretation, accounting procedures, system applications, and other areas
- Provide Unit management with recommendations for action and/or modifications to financial procedures, plans, and controls. Provide support to GM's/DM's/RVP's/DVP's in order to ensure accurate results and help improve profitability. Provide support in resolving client billing issues, and managing and collecting receivables.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of financial data and statistics, including operating and administrative budgets. Ensure that assets, liabilities, revenues, and expenses for responsibility area are accurately reported and accounted. Ensure audits address areas of concern relative to the goals, performance objectives, and impact of economic, financial, and managerial programs in conformance with Company policies and procedures.
- Interact with Buffalo FSC and clients to resolve invoicing and payment/remittance issues.
- Maintain records and reports necessary to comply with Company, government, and accrediting agency standards, regulations, and codes.
- Driving the zero harm mindset
Basic Education Requirement – Associate's Degree
Basic Functional Experience – 2 years in accounting, finance or a related field
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.