Are you a dynamic sales rep interested in helping local businesses with innovative outdoor advertising campaigns? If so, we’d love to have you join our sales team as an Outside Sales Representative! We need someone who truly appreciates the connection between marketing and sales, someone who genuinely gets excited with each and every sale - big or small. Our Lamar office in Decatur is now hiring a new Outside Sales Representative (salary + commission) to help us bring outdoor advertising campaigns to life for brands in Decatur/Shoals and the surrounding areas.
Lamar Advertising is one of the largest outdoor advertising companies in the world. Lamar offers advertisers a variety of advertising formats, helping both local businesses and national brands stand out from the competition. We live by the Golden Rule, and we operate with honesty and integrity in every aspect of our business. We are open with our employees, transparent with our customers, and loyal to the communities in which we serve. We have been in business over 100 years, and we have stayed true to our mission and values. While Lamar is a large company, each office has its own culture and family atmosphere, making employees feel connected both locally and nationally.
We offer a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation & benefits package for all full-time employees. Some of our benefit
offerings include, but are not limited to, multiple medical plan options, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation/sick time, 401K plan, and incentivized wellness programs.
The purpose of the Outside Sales Representative (i.e. Sales Account Executive) position is to meet and exceed sales objectives in the assigned territory by promoting and selling outdoor advertising to qualified advertisers. An Outside Sales Representative is expected to use professional sales techniques, build relationships, and develop long term advertising relationships that grow Lamar advertising sales.
o Meet and exceed sales targets, make at least 10 sales calls per day of which 2 calls are new business.
o Target every business within their assigned territory/account list, visit each established Lamar client and our competitor’s client at least once per month, Identify potential growth areas and open new accounts, Increase Lamar’s market share Sell all products – Posters, Bulletins and Transit (where applicable)
o Become proficient in the use of Lamar computer tools to locate Co-op prospects, follow-up on Hot Leads, prepare proposals, and research
o Prepare written presentations, reports and proposals, become an active team member of Lamar, become an active member of the advertising community
o Develop presentation skills utilizing computer tools and present to clients on a regular basis Maintain accounts receivable Continually develop new product knowledge and acquire better selling skills
o Keep abreast of competition – particularly newspaper, radio, TV, cable and yellow pages
o Actively participate in sale meetings, regional meeting, seminars and trade shows
o Plan each day, week and month before the month starts, plan each call
o Maintain a professional sales appearance
o Use sales tools, Complete daily planner/sales program after each call and at the end of the day
o Maintain organized up to date records of clients and sales activity
o Insure your automobile has a neat and professional appearance
o Minimize travel time, Maximize time in the field with clients
o Use the Lamar Sales Support Center and the Multi Market Coordinators to sell multi Lamar markets, cluster your accounts to work them geographically and manage your time effectively
o Maintain client profiles, be prepared to submit daily planners/call reports, sales plans, forecasts and expense reports on a timely basis
o Follow-up on all client production orders and insure campaigns begin and end as the client requested. If any problems exists, AE will communicate immediately with the client and manager to find a solution
o Agree to check lights etc. on a regular basis when called upon
o Use Lamar technology to save time
o Analyze and monitor personal sales data and reports
o Operate within your expense budget
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to make oral presentations to provide information or explain policies and procedures.
- Skill in speaking with persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of personal computers, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to explain the outdoor advertising business to customers and account executives from installation and product standpoints.
- Skill in writing grammatically correct routine business correspondence.
- Ability to perform effectively under fluctuating workloads.
- Skill in selling or promoting outdoor advertisements.
- Skill in establish rapport and gaining the trust of others.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to meet a sales quota.
- Working knowledge of general sales techniques.
- Ability to cold call businesses.
- Ability to be intrinsically motivated to succeed and withstand rejection.
- Skill in working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Current and Valid Driver’s License
- College Degree preferred
- Previous sales experience required
- A Bachelor's degree is accepted in lieu of sales experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The primary work environment for this position is a combination of an office environment and work in the field making sales calls and servicing existing accounts.
- The physical demands for this position include light lifting, seeing (with a focus on reading, color distinction, acuity, depth perception, and peripheral vision), siting less than 50% of the time, standing, talking, turning, and walking.
- Nights spent away from home traveling are less than 10%
First year earning potential for our newly hired Outside Sales Representative is usually around $40,000 -$45,000/year, dependent on motivation and selling ability. We do not cap commissions, so earning potential is unlimited in subsequent years! We also provide a monthly auto and cell allowance for work-related expenses.
Recent college graduates with a passion for business development are welcome to apply - sales experience is not absolutely necessary to be successful in this position!
The ideal candidate will live in the Decatur/Shoals/Cullman/Athens area.
Lamar is an EOE/AA:
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Protected Veterans or any other State or Federally protected characteristic