National Election Technology Advocacy Organization Seeks
Director of National Programs
The unprecedented events of the 2016 election cycle focused the nation’s attention once again on the machinery of democracy – the security and verifiability of our nation’s voting machines and elections infrastructure. This intense scrutiny has accelerated the need for a coordinated national response to strengthen our electoral processes. Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org), founded by computer scientists in 2004, is the only national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization focused exclusively on the critical role technology plays in election administration. Through education and advocacy our mission is to safeguard elections in the digital age, protecting the fundamental right to vote where voting intersects technology. Partnering with other advocacy organizations, Verified Voting advocates for changes in policy, procedures and law that will advance the goal of ensuring our elections are secure and verifiable and serves as the “go to” resource for state and local governments on issues of voting technology.
Verified Voting seeks an experienced Director of National Programs to plan, organize, staff and lead a national effort to protect current voting systems from cyber interference and replace unverifiable voting systems. The Director of National Programs would have the opportunity to implement program strategy on issues drawn directly from today’s headlines and expert advisors. He or she will manage activities for both the c3 (Verified Voting Foundation) and separately for the c4 (VerifiedVoting.org) arms of the organization. This is a full-time position reporting to the President. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial self-starter with demonstrated experience working with and being accountable to a fast- paced, mission-oriented team. This position requires frequent travel and some weekend work. The selected candidate must be able to travel frequently to Philadelphia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate effectively with President and staff
- Work well in a team environment to ensure all team members are fully informed and engaged.
- Play an active role in the strategic planning and implementation process
- Lead implementation of program priorities including supervising staff and coordinating the work of consultants; Prepare program budgets
- Cultivate new and maintain existing partnerships with national organizations, state partner organizations and individuals in priority states
- Serve as liaison between partners in the field and the Verified Voting team
- Coordinate all advocacy work including: tracking legislation, monitoring hearings, meeting with policy makers, writing testimony, testifying before state legislatures, and supervising lobbyists
- Work closely with communications staff
- Participate in fund development activities
- Minimum 7-10 years relevant experience, including managing multi-state issue campaigns. Previous experience working at a non-profit, government or political organization preferred
- A. or B.S. degree required. J.D. a plus. Degree in technology field a plus
- Ability to travel to and work in Philadelphia office periodically is required.
- Demonstrated project management experience including managing budgets and timelines
- Ability to learn subject matter and issues rapidly. Familiarity with civil rights and/or voting rights issues preferred. Familiarity with policy issues surrounding secure and verifiable voting systems a plus
- Demonstrated success developing, managing, motivating and holding accountable a professional team of staff, consultants and interns
- Ability to travel and work irregular hours, including periodic evenings and weekends as necessary to attend relevant events and programs
- Technologically savvy and ability to use software programs and other tools to solve problems in new and creative ways
- Passionate commitment to strengthening our democratic processes and ensuring confidence in US elections
- Consensus builder, with proven ability to interact with and form effective relationships with community leaders, donors, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills with a capacity to set priorities and handle complex tasks
- Displays original thinking and creativity, identifying problems and solutions that improve work processes and impact
- Comfortable performing in a fast-paced environment requiring flexibility to adapt priorities in response to shifting political events
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication and listening skills with strong presentation/public speaking capabilities
- Demonstrates integrity and confidentiality, upholds organizational values, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment
Preferred candidate will be based in Philadelphia, NYC or DC.
Please submit resume and short cover letter regarding your interest in the position.
Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00 to $115,000.00 /year