MRIGlobal, an independent research and development organization, delivers solutions in global health, national security and defense, and energy and the environment. The organization perform scientific research, advanced engineering, and program integration and management for clients in industry, government, and academia. Established in 1944 as Midwest Research Institute, MRIGlobal is based in Kansas City, Mo., and operates in nine states and Washington, D.C.
Associate Chemist – Physical Sciences Group
MRIGlobal is seeking a highly motivated chemist to join our chemistry program in the Physical Sciences Group. The position will involve providing analytical and logistic support for US Government clients requiring characterization of unknown samples. The position will require the use of a variety of techniques for the identification of unknown materials and impurities/degradants (e.g., GC-MS, LC-MS, DART-MS, Raman, FTIR, XRF, etc.). The chemist may also be responsible for instrument calibration and maintenance, data processing and review, and assisting with drafting monthly or final reports.
M.S. in Chemistry, Forensic Science, or equivalent.
B.S. in Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, Science or equivalent, plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Analytical method development and validation
- Experience with chromatographic and spectroscopic methods used for chemical unknowns in environmental samples. Techniques include DART-MS, GC-MS, LC-MS, Raman, FTIR, XRF, UV/VIS, and microspectroscopy
- Analytical instrumentation troubleshooting and maintenance
- Maintain a high level of knowledge in analytical methods and techniques through familiarity with scientific literature
- Experience with sample preparation techniques including liquid-liquid extraction, solid-phase extraction, and solid-phase microextraction (SPME)
- Experience performing sample preparation and analysis of complex biological matrices is a plus
- Position requires a US Government Security Clearance, current active is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; enthusiasm, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skill, able to interact effectively within a small multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, and be well organized, analytical, and flexible to adjust to priorities
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project
- Must be detail oriented, as demonstrated by experience in executing studies with a high level of competence
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with technical staff at all levels in a team-based environment. May function as task leader
- Ability to obtain, and maintain, a U.S. Government security clearance
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. In order to meet the government security investigation requirements, U.S. citizenship is a requirement.
It is the policy of MRIGlobal to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other applicable federal or state protected classification.