Portland Public Schools (PPS) is seeking talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to lead change and inspire PPS students. At PPS, every employee, despite having different roles, is an educator. We hope to attract talented educators who model the core PPS Educator Essentials. With the District’s focus on eliminating systemic racism and its adverse impact on student learning, we seek to hire individuals who bring to our district a deep commitment to racial equity and social justice. Non-Discrimination / Anti-Harassment Policy
The Educational Assistant provides designated supporting services to a classroom teacher or teaching staff responsible for students in classrooms, resource centers or other school and school related areas.
- Distributes and collects instructional materials prepared under the supervision of the classroom teacher or certificated staff.
- Assists the teacher in setting up and maintaining educational media resources; helps students use educational media resources; operates educational media equipment.
- Assists individual students or small groups of students with instructional activities such as spelling, reading or mathematics.
- Assists the classroom teacher with supervision of students in buildings or other school areas and school related activities (e.g., typing, filing, duplication or photocopying instructional materials, etc.).
- Assists the classroom teacher to maintain class and student records.
- Performs general clerical duties (e.g., typing, filing, duplicating or photocopying instructional materials, etc.).
- Assists the classroom teacher to maintain an orderly and attractive instructional area (e.g., prevent litter, put up bulletin board displays, clear blackboards, store supplies or set up study areas, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned to assist the teacher or teaching staff with ongoing instructional programs and school related activities.
1. Education: (OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE)
Associates Degree or higher. OR
The two (2) years of college completed (72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits earned). OR
Passing scores from the Praxis ParaPro Assessment. PPS offers a FREE Paraeducator Assessment for applicants who do not meet the minimum college credits. For applicants who opt to take the assessment, employment is contingent on receiving a passing score.
2. Demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior as required of teachers (e.g., to serve as an effective role model for students).
3. Ability to work with children and families from a low-income background and with who English is a second language.
4. Ideal candidate will have a strong literacy background.
SALARY: $16.64 - $21.71
WORK YEAR: 192 days