TITLE: Controller/V.P. of Finance
CATEGORY: Full Time
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
SHIFT: 5 Days A Week; 40 Hrs/Wk
DATE: June 10, 2019
The Controller/V.P. of Finance is responsible for managing the Finance department along with other areas of responsibility by establishing and maintaining the Bank’s fiscal record keeping system by utilizing generally accepted accounting principles, adhering to tax laws and regulatory compliance to properly reflect the financial position of the Bank, and ensuring department activities run smoothly and efficiently.
- Manages the Finance Department along with other areas of responsibility by establishing and maintaining the Bank’s fiscal record keeping system by utilizing generally accepted accounting principles, adhering to tax laws and regulatory compliance to properly reflect the financial position of the Bank.
- Ensures that department activities run smoothly and efficiently; provides leadership, training and supervision within the department; provides a high level of customer relations and service; and ensures compliance with Bank policies, procedures and processes.
- Provides leadership, training and direct supervision within the department; coordinates staff for coverage in all related areas of the department; provides a high level of customer relations and service; and ensures compliance with Bank policies, procedures and processes.
- Directly responsible for attaining established Bank and assigned department fiscal and other monetary goals; contributes to the overall profitability of the department and Bank; and implements costs controls and monitors expenses to ensure compliance with budget.
- May perform managerial duties in the absence of the Chief Financial Officer and is expected to provide leadership, training and guidance to less experienced staff members.
- Provides direct supervision and oversight to the following accounting functions, including but not limited to:
- Accounts Payable/Receivable
- Benefits Administration
- Computation of Federal Reserve Bank Reserves
- Development and implementation of systems and procedures to maintain proper financial records.
- General Ledger
- Payroll Administration
- Attention to detail and time management are essential skills for this role. In addition the candidate should have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines.
- Preparation of Monthly Board Package
- Regulatory Reporting (Call Report, FRB – Consolidated Financial Statements for Holding Company)
- Prepares annual financial statements for an external auditor
- Assures audit compliance and procedure quality control are maintained for the department and Bank; reviews, recommends and initiates corrective actions; oversees certification and audit activities for all branches and departments; and ensures department is in compliance with established Bank policies, procedures and state and federal regulations.
- Assists other branch and department offices in resolving accounting inquiries and providing staff support, and participates in various internal committees assigned by Senior Management.
- Ensures accurate completion of related financial reports initiated by the Bank’s data processor along with internal reports.
- Develops, tests and implements policies and procedures (manual and computerized) pertaining to the maintenance of accurate accounting records and report preparation.
- Gathers and calculates data associated with the preparation of various routine and special financial statements and reports; reviews documentation for accuracy and completeness; highlights critical areas of the documentation for management’s review; and presents and explains reports and documentation to Senior Management.
- Gathers and calculates financial information; responsible for the preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual tax reports to the federal and state government; and ensures reporting is made in compliance with tax laws, rules and regulations.
- Reviews and approves the sale of Federal funds in accordance with Bank policies and practice.
- Assists in preparation of annual budget projections based on input from executives; reviews expenditures to ensure compliance with budgets; and notifies appropriate executive(s) in the event expenditures exceed budgets.
- Reviews and approves invoices and checks prior to signature to ensure security of Bank funds.
- Oversees the payroll processing function of the Bank by performing payroll processing functions to ensure time records are maintained; ensures pay is accurately calculated and proper deductions are made; and is responsible for functions relating to check preparation and distribution as scheduled.
- Maintains advanced knowledge and awareness of financial industry status and trends.
- Responds to inquiries or refers inquiries to the appropriate department or person, and exhibits the necessary follow through with customers and/or staff involved.
- Provides supervision and support to all areas of the department where service or assistance is needed; oversees activities of assigned department personnel; and opens and closes the department.
- Monitors staff in daily tasks, operations and quality control, and ensures the organization of assigned areas of the department, coordinating available resources (e.g., staff, materials, etc.) for maximum results.
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer in implementing cost controls for the department and monitors expenses to ensure compliance with budget.
- Consistently applies superior decision making techniques pertaining to inquiries, approvals and requests as they apply to existing policies and procedures, keeping within assigned approval limits and using these instances as learning tools for employee development.
- Assumes responsibility for special projects, and gathers data and prepares reports for Senior Management, audits and other personnel.
- Plays a positive role in the development and growth of assigned department staff through excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with strong delegation skills assuring a highly cross-trained staff.
- Performs personnel actions including performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, and interviewing candidates for employment, and supervises the daily activities of the department including, but not limited to, effective delegation of assignments, developing work schedules, and providing necessary training.
- Develops, implements, and monitors accounting policies, processes, practices and internal controls; establishes and maintains accounting, and fiscal controls and the preparation and interpretation of internal and external financial reports; conducts business line and department profitability analysis; and, assists in the calculation and methodology of the bank’s allowance for loan and lease losses (ALLL) and current expected credit losses (CECL).
- Assumes responsibility for various department functions in the absence of staff members or in overload situations.
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works ethically and with integrity; upholds organizational values; and accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Preparation of all regulatory filings including quarterly Call Reports, Tax filings, in addition to other reports for other regulatory agencies.
- Assures compliance with all Bank policies, procedures and processes, and all applicable state and federal banking laws, rules and regulations, and adheres to Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) responsibilities that are specific to the position.
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports the Bank’s goals and values; and benefits the Bank through outside activities.
The position of Controller/V.P. of Finance performs duties specific to the position and other functions as assigned.
The position of Controller/V.P. of Finance is responsible for the supervision of one or more employees. The incumbent in this position may perform managerial duties in the absence of the Chief Financial Officer, and normally carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Bank's policies and applicable laws.
ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The position may include some minor annoyances such as noise, etc.
The incumbent in the course of performing this position spends time writing, typing, speaking, listening, lifting (up to 25 pounds), driving, carrying, seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
The incumbent for this position may operate any or all of the following: telephone, smart phone, copy and fax machines, adding machine (calculator), check protector, scanner and image systems, scanning equipment, encoder, money counter, credit card terminal, typewriter, computer terminal, laptop computer, personal computer, tablet, printers, or other equipment as directed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent in this position must be able to accommodate to reading documents or instruments, detailed work, problem solving, customer contact, reasoning, math, language, presentations, verbal and written communication, analytical reasoning, stress, multiple concurrent tasks, and constant interruptions.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university; or 5 plus years of related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Work related experience should consist of an in-depth background in accounting or finance, management and supervisory skills. Educational experience, through in-house training sessions, formal school or financial industry related curriculum, should be applicable to the financial industry. A professional certificate such as a certified public accountant (CPA) or advanced education beyond a college degree is preferred, ideally in a financial or business discipline, such as Master’s degree or MBA.
- Advanced experience, knowledge and training in progressively responsible branch or department operations, management and supervisory activities.
- Advanced knowledge of general accounting, payroll, budgeting, and related accounting and record keeping systems in a financial institution.
- Advanced knowledge of related state and federal banking compliance regulations, and Bank accounting policies and procedures.
- Advanced skills related to the consolidation and reporting of Bank financial results, and formulation and implementation of Bank accounting procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to provide leadership, supervision and training for one or more employees using positive supervisory techniques to ensure maximum productivity; demonstrated ability in organization and delegation skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of human resource and labor laws and policies.
- Intermediate skills in computer terminal and personal computer operation; host computer system; FedLine, word processing, spreadsheet and specialty software programs.
- Intermediate typing skills to meet production needs of the position.
- Advanced math skills; ability to calculate interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages; balance accounts; add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; locate routine mathematical errors; compute rate, ratio and percent, including the drafting and interpretation of bar graphs.
- Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions and instruct others, train personnel, write reports, correspondence and procedures, speak clearly to customers and employees.
- Thorough understanding of management procedures; ability to plan department or Bank activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, and developing policies and procedures); initiative to organize various functions necessary to accomplish department or Bank activities; effectively staff (selecting, training and developing employees); directing employees towards the desired objectives (delegating, motivating, resolving problems); controlling the function (developing performance standards, measuring results, taking corrective action and rewarding employees as appropriate).
- Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations
- Ability to work with no supervision while performing duties
- Advanced experience with FiServ or similar bank core system
- Expert skills with Excel
- Advanced experience with Profit Stars or similar budgeting software
Job Type: Full-time
- GAAP: 5 years (Preferred)
- Monday (Required)
- Tuesday (Required)
- Wednesday (Required)
- Thursday (Required)
- Friday (Required)
Hours per Week: