Support Services Associate
Food Services - 170310
High school diploma or equivalency.
Special Note: This is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to reflect essential functions per ADA. Examples of competencies are typical of the majority of positions, but may not be applicable to all positions.
Valid driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in the operation of the Food Services storeroom requisitioning, receiving, storing and issuing groceries and supplies accurately.
- Issue all items listed by the count, case size or by weight.
- Make deliveries to units at assigned times after completion of orders.
- Special orders are to be issued and delivered to all units daily.
- Be knowledgeable of items ordered.
- Consistent and dependable to ensure all truck drivers they will be unloaded as fast as possible in a pleasant manner.
- Check items for freshness, quality, pack size or weight; any changes on invoices should be noted and signed by driver.
- Promote first in – first out policy and each item dated.
- Items should be stocked within 30 minutes after receiving.
- Go to the store when requested and deliver items to units pleasantly and efficiently. Pick up items at warehouse and operate forklift when needed.
- Clean and sanitize all storerooms and coolers, making sure they meet standards of supervisor and Health Department.
- Sweep and clean around dumpsters and docks three times a week or as needed.
- Clean bathrooms, sanitize and supply daily.
- Be consistent in following all health laws to ensure proper cleanliness and sanitation of person and work area.
- Conscientious in following all laws for safety standards as set forth by the university, ASU Food Services and OSHA.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required for this Position
- Must be dependable in completing weekly and annual inventories quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum of mistakes 98% of the time.
- Maintaining effective working relationships with other employees.
- Excellent and professional customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing.
- Working knowledge in receiving and disbursing cash, inventory/merchandise.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Must be able to drive a box delivery truck.
Prefer one (1) year of experience in the receipt, storage and issuance of a variety of materials, supplies, or equipment; knowledge of inventory procedures.
Type of Position
Monday – Friday, 5:00am – 2:00pm.
Hours are subject to change based on the volume of work.
Some weekend work required due to callbacks, emergencies, home Football Games and student move-in weekends or as the needs of the department or directed by supervisor.
Number of Hours Per Week
Number of Months Per Year
Physical Demands of Position
Ability to lift 75 – 100 lbs repetitiously, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Overall Competency Level
Salary Grade Equivalency
Anticipated Hiring Range
Required Functional Competencies to Successfully Perform Job Duties.
Program Knowledge/Record Administration:
Performs a variety of recurring tasks and functions related to assigned processes and procedures. Manages and verifies files, records, and inventory. Compiles and organizes information from different sources to develop reports and data. Serves as resource to others.
Anticipates, identifies and understands customer’s service needs. Maintains good rapport with customers while assisting them with obtaining products. Check with customers and/or vendors to ensure products meet needs. Establishes and maintains good relationship with community, faculty, staff, students and /or vendors. Contacts vendors, or clients to provide or obtain information.
Applies working knowledge of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Working knowledge in receiving and disbursing cash, inventory/merchandise. Maintains, verifies, and coordinates related records from a variety of sources. Notifies supervisor of errors or problems with processes and procedures.
Pay will be commensurate with applicant competencies, budget, equity and market considerations.
Posting Details Information
Competency Level Statement
If no applicants apply who meet the required competencies, then management may consider other applicants at a lower competency level.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please list a minimum of 3 professional references on the application.
Applicant Pool Preference
External (Post on the Web)
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.