Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) seeks to work across the U.S. network to build a strong outcomes evidence base, demonstrating through rigorous impact measurement and research the power of improved housing conditions and strong communities to create lasting change for those we serve. Moreover, Habitat seeks to invest in understanding and sharing evidence-based practices across its network. Through its investments in measurement and research, Habitat will be equipped with powerful data to better advocate and improve housing conditions for the communities we serve. In FY20, HFHI will expand its U.S. research and measurement team, and the Research Manager is a newly-created, critical role.
The Research Manager will organize, coordinate, and lead the U.S. Research Agenda in close collaboration with affiliate leaders, HFHI leadership, researcher partners, and other external experts. The Research Manager will also serve as project manager for external evaluators and research partners with whom HFHI engages. S/he will also oversee any grant-funded roles hired to support implementation of specific research projects.
- Organize, coordinate, and lead the U.S. Research Agenda in close collaboration with affiliate leaders, HFHI leadership, researcher partners, and other external experts
- Continuously follow up on and report on the development and implementation of the U.S. Research Agenda—monitor portfolio-level and project-level scope, schedule, budget, and quality, including fidelity of research design implementation
- Serve as primary internal technical expert for reviewing research design and tools to ensure contextual and programmatic feasibility and appropriateness based on research questions and project objectives
- Manage relationships with external evaluation partners on third-party studies
- Conduct a competitive source selection processes where required
- Ensure that best practices in ethics, privacy protection, and data security and management are codified and implemented
- Develop plans to communicate/disseminate project findings, determine how widely reports and effectively findings are referenced and/or implemented, and refine project prioritization based on lessons learned during dissemination process
- Other duties as assigned to support the broader team
- PhD and 5+ years of research experience strongly preferred; candidates with a relevant master’s degree and extensive research experience considered.
- Extensive practical field experience managing large, complex studies required.
- Strong understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies required; experience with experimental methods strongly preferred; experience with natural experiments/quasi-experimental methods required
- Strong project management and coordination required. PMP certification a plus
- Experience with research in federated nonprofit network setting a plus
- Ability to learn new software solutions and strong computer aptitude: proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, proficient with Microsoft Project or equivalent (e.g., SmartSheet), proficiency with analytical software (e.g., Stata, SAS, SPSS, or R) preferred
- Strong knowledge of housing and community development research preferred
- Highly independent and analytical
- Demonstrated ability to build high-caliber partnerships with universities, think thanks, and other research institutions
- Ability to interface with and provide excellent service to all levels of the organization (senior leaders, middle management, program subject matter experts, and administrative staff)
- Strong communicator with solid oral and written communication skills as well as strong presentation skills
- Identifies deeply with and lives the Habitat for Humanity mission and values
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Quality and detail oriented