Full Job Description
What You Will Do:
Provide psychosocial assessments, diagnosis, and treatment, as well as discharge planning to and consultation about patients and families to assist them and the health care team in coping with patient’s hospitalization, illness, diagnosis, treatment, and/or life situation, including emotional, mental, and substance abuse disorders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide psychosocial assessments of patients and families to identify emotional, social, and environmental strengths and problems related to their diagnosis, illness, treatment, and/or life situation.
2. Formulate, develop, and implement a comprehensive psychosocial treatment plan utilizing appropriate clinical social work treatments and interventions.
3. Screen and identify, treat and manage health and/or substance abuse problems in patients.
4. Assists with screening, identification, diagnosis, management and treatment of victims of abuse, neglect, domestic violence, rape, etc. Provide training to other health care professionals in same.
5. Maintain a working knowledge of relevant medical/legal issues that impact on patient care, e.g., advance directives, child and elder abuse.
6. Provide education to patients and families around issues related to adaptation to the patient’s diagnosis, illness, treatment and/or life situation.
7. Conducts individual therapy sessions, displaying theoretical knowledge of Psychopathology, and treatment techniques in the following: • Psychotherapy • Family Therapy • Group Therapy
8. Conducts educational group sessions, displaying theoretical knowledge of subject matter and effective communication skills in presenting material.
9. Participates in multi-disciplinary health care teams and provide leadership in representing clinical social work perspective/liaison with patient and family.
10. Maintain working knowledge of and liaison with community agencies and resources.
11. Engages in timely, efficient discharge planning. Works include conjunction with patient, family, nursing staff and attending physicians. Shows knowledge of referral/ placement process and/or health system guidelines and standards.
12. Documents assessment, plan, interactions, and interventions according to departmental, hospital and/or health system guidelines and standards.
13. Communicates effectively with other health care providers to ensure continuity and coordination of care, appropriate care delivery, and to report changes in patient’s condition.
14. Supports departmental operations by assisting with clerical duties, supplies and environment maintenance.
15. Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
16. Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
17. Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
18. Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
19. Demonstrates support and compliance with Maryland General Hospital’s mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives, and policies.
20. Performs additional functions and other activities assigned.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Currently licensed by the Maryland Board of Social Workers.
Education: Masters degree in Social Work preferred, Bachelors degree required.
One year experience as a Social Worker preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.