Duties & Responsibilities: (Essential Functions of Position, Major Responsibilities, Summary of Key Duties, Special Assignments, Relationships)
Physical Requirements of Position: (HBV Yes No)
- New Hires: Entry level rate $13.01/hr. Current employees in the bargaining unit: Please refer to the salary schedule established by the applicable bargaining unit.
- All employees working with/for Special Education students will be required to pass the Medicaid Fraud background check, prior to hire, successfully bidding, and/or transferring to a special education positions. This check is run several times a year. If at any time your name appears on the Medicaid Fraud listing, you will be notified and may be removed from your current position.
- Assist with children managing behavior and physical disabilities
- Assist with daily activities and routine care of the students
- Work collaboratively with teacher in using developmentally appropriate practices
- Assist teacher in monitoring students' progress by keeping necessary records and giving feedback as requested
- Follow teacher direction for instruction
- Use positive reinforcement techniques and appropriate guidance techniques to assist in managing development behavior throughout the school routine including transition times, activities, redirection and playground assistance.
- Help children build internal control
- Engage in on-going staff development
- Model flexibility in duties as the needs of students change
- Assist in arrival and departure of students
- Capable of lifting up to 50 lbs. and Must be willing to complete diapering
- Model enthusiasm and patience
- Ability to work some flexible hours to meet operational needs of early learning center
- Per DHS Guidelines this position requires a background check, fingerprinting and completed Physical every two (2) years.
- Must complete the required DHS Training hours each year.
- Must complete the Infant/Child/Adult CPR and First Aid within 6 mo of hire date and remain current
- Must complete Universal Precaution and Exposure training prior to start date and remain current
- Meet NAEYC, QPPS, DHS and Head Start Performance Standards
- Must complete or show proof of DHS Essentials training within 90 days of hire
- Successful candidate must possess strong inter-personal skills with a proven record of building rapport with culturally diverse students and their families to ensure that each child reaches his/her full potential.
- Good attendance and punctuality are a must to ensure that the duties and responsibilities of the job are performed successfully.
- Must be willing to support and implement Davenport's multi-tiered system of supports for both behavior and academics
- Possible Therapy dog on school premises during the school day
- Minimum of CDA Certificate AND Title Qualifications. To meet Title I Requirements: Must have a High School Diploma/GED AND two years in a post-secondary institution OR obtained an Associate's Degree or higher OR successfully complete the following on the Accuplacer Test: Reading-59 Writing - 3 and Math - 24 OR successfully complete the Iowa Paraprofessional classes and obtain the Iowa Para professional Certificate. To Meet NAEYC/QPPS qualifications must have an Associate's Degree or higher in Child Development OR Early Childhood OR Early Childhood Special Education. If Associate's Degree or higher is in related field must be willing to complete CDA requirements or requirements that are equivalent to a CDA within a timeframe determined at hire.
- Other duties as assigned
Special Qualification Desired:
- Ability to withstand weather for outside activities
- Must be able to lift, pull and push 50 lbs.
- Must be able to sit and kneel on the floor
(Personal Qualities, Education, Skills Needed, Experience, Etc.)
- Positive attitude toward special needs children
- Ability to work collaboratively with teacher and staff
- Good Communication and organizational skills
- Patient, compassionate and sensitive individual willing to work with a diverse population
- Recognition of the need for confidentiality with respect to children's and parent's right to privacy
- Friendly and caring
Email To A Friend