The Project Manager for Strategic Sourcing and Procurement manages and oversees CarMax's Strategic Sourcing projects using widely recognized industry best-practices, sourcing methodologies, tools, and techniques.
1. Sourcing Project Management - Execute strategic sourcing projects, resulting in the selection of products and suppliers that provide maximum value to CarMax.
- Market Category Analysis - conduct analysis of industry, trends, economics, and market conditions for assigned project(s), leveraging Category Strategy created by Category Lead.
- Work with business owners and management to develop clear and concise business requirements, and identify available budget.
- Work with business owners, market data, and research to identify and pre-qualify supply sources that best meet CarMax's needs.
- Pre-Sourcing Analysis - review CarMax purchasing patterns and available forecasts in specific categories; and assess business requirements, historical volumes, and likely future trends.
- Project Scoping and Evaluation - Identify sourcing objectives based on business requirements, benchmarks, opportunities and timelines; determine buying and sourcing options (spot buy, RFI, RFP, negotiations, etc.) and supply alternatives; and identify and pre-qualify supply sources.
- Develop sourcing strategy for project, then develop appropriate approach to market in terms of Requests for Information (RFI), Requests for Proposal (RFP) / Quote (RFQ) documents; develop supplier selection criteria; and manage communications with suppliers and business and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Develop project timelines, briefing documents, and communication plans appropriate to size of project and breadth of stakeholders.
- Evaluate supplier responses and present finalists' proposals in a side-by-side format (apples-to-apples comparisons), along with well-thought-out recommendations to stakeholders.
- Negotiate business terms, service levels, deliverables, and success criteria leveraging standard contracts and collaborating with Legal, IT Security, Internal Audit, Accounting, and Business Division to ensure that contracts reflect business needs and value required, and requirements for success are thoroughly documented.
- Manage award and communications to stakeholders and selected suppliers, and communicate the impact of sourcing projects as appropriate to CarMax Leadership / Senior Management.
- Identify, analyze, and measure cost savings, including non-price value opportunities (e.g. cost avoidance) and other deliverables (e.g. quality improvement) against baselines and budgets, when available.
- Ensure customer and stakeholder expectations and requirements are met for categories and spend sourced.
2. Strategic Sourcing Relationship Management - Work collaboratively to engage stakeholders and suppliers to develop success criteria and monitor performance for critical and strategic suppliers.
- Develop KPIs during RFP and contracting.
- Structure relationships and document success criteria to set stakeholders up for successful implementations for assigned sourcing projects, through the effective and efficient alignment and communication of needs and capabilities.
- Escalate issues as needed to management.
3. Special Projects, Strategic Sourcing and Procurement Team Support, and other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Strong leadership and project team management skills.
- Strong communications skills with an ability to influence others using data and facts.
- Strong customer service, problem solving, planning and organization skills.
- Demonstrate a bias for action.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proficiency with financial subject matter, including ROI analysis.
- Experience performing detailed analyses of complex data or situations and supplier financial viability.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and project teams to conclude with successful supplier selections within stated timelines.
- Ability to establish working relationships with associates at all levels of the company.
- Proven contract negotiation skills, and experience with Legal contracting and cross-functional processes.
- Prior experience with Professional Services and IT software and services recommended.
- Procurement, buying, and/or strategic sourcing experience (5+ years)
- Project management experience required (3+ years)
- College degree or equivalent business/procurement experience
- Proven experience with MS Excel, PeopleSoft, and MS Word