This position will be filled in North Liberty, IA or Reading, PA. The position is ineligible for Visa sponsorship and/or relocation assistance. No recruiters or unsolicited agency referrals please.
The Legal Contracts Manager (“LCM”) will lead and manage all internal efforts related to drafting, negotiating, executing and managing a wide range of commercial contracts. Commercial contracts including, but not limited to sales supply and distribution agreements, purchasing agreements, indemnity agreements, non-disclosure agreements, real estate leases, letters of credit, equipment leases, and contracts for business services. To ensure successful performance, the LCM will work collaboratively with multiple internal stakeholders (sales team, category management team, department leaders and Chief Financial Officer) as well as external legal counsel.
JM Swank, LLC, is a national, full-line food ingredient wholesale distributor with extensive capabilities in ingredient sourcing, distribution and logistics. Headquartered in North Liberty, Iowa, the “Company” is comprised of JM Swank, LLC, and multiple affiliates, including: J.R.R.W. Transport, LLC, Liberty Branded Foods, LLC / Armour Specialty Marketing, Lentz Milling Company, LLC and Lentz Logistics, LLC. The Company successfully operates six distribution centers across the United States, employing a workforce of 350.
- Review, draft, and revise Company standard and non-standard agreements.
- Receive, review, and prepare response to legal contracts provided by Company counterparties.
- Develop and implement contract strategies, formulate a requirement gathering processes and establish contract review procedures.
- Work closely with other departments (sales, category management, finance and operations) to negotiate, interpret and draft alternative clauses for contracts.
- Manage workflow at all stages of the contract management process and ensure internal communication in support thereof; report on challenges, key milestones and metrics to the senior leadership team.
- Aid in the coordination of RFPs, including providing risk management and insurance certificates or other RFP documentation as needed.
- Ensure internal stakeholders understand, and adhere to, Company processes and procedure; monitor and report on overall Company contract performance and compliance.
- Escalate complex legal and factual issues to external counsel for assistance; provide tracking and routine follow-up to ensure final resolution.
- Communicate with management on contractual risks and challenges facing the Company; provide practical recommendations and guidance.
- Minimize risk by ensuring the accuracy, completeness and legality of all contracts.
- Champion continuous improvement projects, including updating contract templates, sharing knowledge of best practices and streamlining processes.
- Perform additional project work as needed, such as: due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, or divestitures.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as scanning, filing, establishing and maintaining a comprehensive contract database.
- Perform other responsibilities and/or projects as assigned by the executive leadership team.
Who We Are:
- 5+ plus years of experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, that have significant financial impact to the business, for legal sufficiency required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent combination of education and experience in contract negotiations, administration and contract review required. J.D. from an accredited law school with accolades preferred.
- Professional contract management certification preferred; CCCM, CPCM or equivalent.
- Solid understanding of Uniform Commercial Code and the contract/legal process (scope of agreements; negotiations with clients, implications, use and interaction of various forms and templates; principles of risk and legal compliance) required.
- Ability to work independently and form/maintain strong business relationships (internally and externally) required.
- Excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail required.
- Effective time management and the ability to consistently meet deadlines required.
- Ability to effectively manage and set priorities for multiple projects simultaneously required.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills necessary; including proofreading skills.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Word and data management software is required.
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen required.
- Experience in distribution, sourcing, manufacturing, and/or business operations preferred.
- Experience in the food and beverage or transportation industry is a plus.
As a trusted and value-added partner, JM Swank, LLC, has been helping customers grow profitability since 1954. We fulfill an important role by working with our suppliers and customers to help provide safe, affordable, nutritious food to those who need it. We've grown from servicing food manufacturers in the Midwest, to a fully integrated supply chain solution for Fortune 500 companies across the nation. Today, JM Swank, LLC, is rapidly growing under the ownership of Platinum Equity, LLC, a global private equity investment firm. JM Swank, LLC, continues to provide unparalleled expertise in food ingredient distribution, including sourcing and logistics, to well-known customers who in turn produce some of the world's most recognizable brands.
Our JM Swank, LLC, team demonstrates honesty, fairness and flexibility in everything we do. We take a personal approach to partnership, as we work to increase supply chain efficiencies and meet the product needs of our customers. We pride ourselves on keeping our customers informed of the latest market activity and product developments, while always keeping quality and safety top of mind. We continually seek talented professionals who demonstrate strong leadership capabilities, coupled with an entrepreneurial spirit, innate sense of accountability, customer-first mindset and an unwavering drive towards continuous improvement. Join us as we work to achieve our goal of being the top food ingredients distributor in the nation.
Our JM Swank, LLC, employees enjoy a collaborative work environment that fosters the ability to challenge the status quo. Employees are encouraged to identify and take ownership of challenges, with a focus on root cause analysis and teamwork. Our employees embrace rapid change, while remaining open to new ideas and technologies. We view growth in a positive light, as it allows us to meet the needs of our customers as well as our overall business objectives.
Employees enjoy participating on committees and having a voice in how we conduct business daily. Learning and professional development are highly encouraged, at all levels within our organization. JM Swank, LLC, is known for giving back to the communities we live and work in. Our pay rates are competitive, and employees are truly valued for the work they do on behalf of our customers. Our comprehensive benefits package is designed to support employees in their career and in life away from work.
How to Apply:
All candidates must submit a current resume, in confidence, via our careers portal for consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
JM Swank, LLC, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g., U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunity laws.
Applicants with physical or mental disabilities may be entitled to a form of reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done, which will ensure equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the JM Swank, LLC, Companies. Please contact JM Swank, LLC, if you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require assistance to apply for one of our jobs: careers at jmswank dot com