Natural Resources Biologist / Project Manager - ( 2300034A )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's Salt Lake City, Utah office is currently seeking a mid-level Natural Resource – Biologist Project Manager for our Environmental Services Group. The successful candidate will work in a team environment and will be responsible for managing projects, leading the development of technical documents, coordinating field surveys, and assisting with environmental permitting for a variety of clients. He/she will also be responsible for assisting with proposals and field surveys (occasionally; candidate dependent), as well as presentations to clients and agencies.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Management of project schedules, deliverables, budgets, staff, and the project record (i.e., managing file storage).
- Leading the preparation and review of technical documents, such as baseline survey reports for natural resource studies (e.g., wildlife, vegetation, wetlands) and/or sections of NEPA documents.
- Planning and overseeing wildlife and plant field survey techniques to inventory and monitor for special status species for a variety of different project types including renewable energy, energy transmission and generation, mining, and private development.
- Developing proposals (scope and budgets) for environmental services tasks, independently or as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Interacting and communicating effectively with multi-disciplinary teams, regulators, and clients. This includes being an active member within a team of natural resources specialists based out of the Salt Lake City office, throughout the region, and across our North American geography.
- Ability to travel across the Mountain West to conduct surveys or attend meetings. This role may be expected to travel, generally for 2 – 5 days per trip, approximately up to 20% of the time (candidate dependent).
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Past project or task management experience with a preference for experience in the natural resources (e.g., wildlife, wetlands and streams, vegetation) of the Mountain West. Experience permitting renewable energy projects (e.g., wind energy, solar, BESS), mining projects, and/or transmission line projects preferred.
- Experience with lead authorship of technical documents (e.g., species-specific habitat assessments, Eagle Conservation Plans, Habitat Conservation Plans, Natural Resource Management Strategies, Environmental Assessments).
- Experience with the NEPA review process and/or authorship of NEPA documents or resource sections of NEPA documents.
- Ability to validate and accurately analyze information and make sound decisions.
- Ability to manage risks and safety appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Effectiveness in resource planning and results delivery.
- Ability to prioritize and balance workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment.
- Possess a diverse skill set in multiple environmental disciplines and have a passion for lifelong learning.
- Eager to learn and be part of a local team of resource specialists supporting clients in renewables, transmission, mining, and other industries.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree with 5 years of relevant experience. Master of Science Degree in biology, wildlife, ecology, or related biological field and 3 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Experience in the field of natural resources consulting is preferred but not required.
- This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
This position will be in a typical office or home-office environment working with computers and working at a stationary desk for long periods of time. Our Salt Lake City Environmental Services team generally works remotely and meets frequently; however, an office desk is available if preferred. Because of this, the successful candidate will be expected to reside within a reasonable commuting distance to Salt Lake City, Utah, and our Cottonwood Heights office location.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Utah-Salt Lake City
Work Locations :
Salt Lake City UT
Organization : BC-2037 EnvSvcs-US Mountain
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 4, 2023, 8:49:55 AM
Req ID: 2300034A
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans