Job Title: Senior Data Analyst
Department: Data & Analytics
Reports to: Director of Data Analytics
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Falmouth, ME
(fully remote option available)
The Healthcare Purchaser Alliance of Maine (HPA of ME) is a small non-profit organization that works directly with employers to advance value in healthcare through improved quality, affordability, and service.
Why Work Here?
Do you want to work with a dynamic, collaborative team that’s mission-driven and committed to transforming healthcare? Do you want to work for an employer that truly values its employees, provides a flexible environment that emphasizes a healthy work-life balance, rewards its staff with a generous compensation and benefits package, and offers meaningful work? Are you an experienced SAS programmer who knows healthcare claims data and who thrives on turning analysis into insights? If you answered yes to these questions, then the HPA wants to hear from you!
The HPA offers a number of highly valued perks to employees. These include:
- Competitive salaries
- Generous employer 403b match at 100% of up to 5% of salary; all contributions are instantly 100% vested
- 37.5-hour work week
- Flexible hours/schedule
- In office, fully remote, or hybrid work options
- 13 paid holidays
- Generous paid time off policy
- Additional paid office closure days (typically the office closes the week between Christmas and New Year’s)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% employer paid Life/STD/LTD insurance
- Generous employer contribution to Health Savings Account (HSA) (with the selection of an HSA eligible medical plan)
- Casual dress code
- Wellness incentives, including additional paid time off
- Mission over profit prioritization
The Senior Data Analyst designs and conducts complex analyses on health care claims and helps employer clients turn data into actionable insights that drive cost savings, higher care quality, and improved patient experience for insured employees and dependents. The ideal candidate for this position will have extensive experience working with healthcare claims data using SAS or a similar programming language, a strong understanding of commercial health insurance market dynamics, superb critical thinking skills, and the ability to complete analyses with minimal oversight. The HPA currently utilizes a hybrid office/work-from-home model for all staff, but a fully remote option is available for highly qualified candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Director of Analytics, other HPA staff, and directly with employers to conduct complex analyses of medical and pharmacy claims data using SAS software or a similar programming language. Responsible for advising employers on analytic methodologies, interpreting and delivering results, and identifying opportunities to improve healthcare affordability and/or quality.
- Develops, programs, and automates new reports and analyses that can be standardized across the HPA’s employer members.
- Mines a large database of commercial healthcare claims for opportunities to reduce cost and improve quality.
- Maintains documentation of analytic methodologies, ensures the quality of all deliverables, and manages project timelines and scope.
- Identifies anomalies in claims data and proposes mitigation opportunities.
- Provides direction and advice to other HPA of ME staff as appropriate.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The HPA welcomes all competitive applications and encourages interested candidates who lack one or more of the requirements to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- Extensive experience (5 or more years) in analyzing medical and pharmacy claims data
- High level of proficiency with SAS software or similar programming language
- Strong understanding of commercial health insurance market dynamics
- Demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to frame a complex question appropriately, develop an analytical strategy, assemble the relevant data, clearly communicate results, and offer recommendations informed by analysis
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to influence the questions being asked and to provide analytical guidance that will inform the answers
- Deep understanding of concepts related to data quality and integrity
- Experience turning analysis into actionable insights and recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest level of ethical and professional standards
- High comfort level in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- The majority of the work involved with this position is done on a computer; therefore, the ability to work sitting at a computer for extended periods of time is required.
- Experience applying statistical concepts in population health and advanced analytical methodologies/study design
- Experience with data visualization products (e.g., Tableau or similar)
- Experience presenting analyses and recommendations to diverse audiences using Microsoft PowerPoint or similar
- Understanding of healthcare landscape, employer-based insurance, and benefit strategy
HPA of ME is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $97,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
All employees working in the office are required to be vaccinated.
- analyzing medical and pharmacy claims data: 5 years (Preferred)
- SAS or similar programming language: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations