Geotechnical Section Manager - (155509)
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR Engineering, Inc. in New York is seeking a Geotechnical Section Manager. This role will be responsible for strategically coordinating with key area operations staff and the national director of geotechnical services with respect to leveraging HDR's full skill set in transportation facilities, water and waste water facilities, resiliency structures, power delivery and generation facilities and Federal buildings and miscellaneous facilities.
The Geotechnical Section Manager will represent HDR Geotechnical Engineering to area DOTs, agencies and authorities and clearly communicate geotechnical capabilities to aid in the procurement of work both directly for them and internal HDR design efforts. Responsible to develop in-house staff and capacity to assist in additional work sharing opportunities in support of other HDR offices. Build relationships within HDR Transportation Business Group and develop sustainable relationships within other Business Groups operating in the NY/NJ and New England area market places to support strategic and profitable growth. This position includes identification of geotechnical opportunities supportable from the NY/NJ area, as well as creating an environment for continued technical development, which includes the identification and hiring of appropriate staff to support the workload.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee operations of production section including staff development, profitability, morale, quality control and marketing support
- Function as Project Manager and take responsibility for production on projects in addition to management responsibilities
- Manage section staff and technical service functions, and lead and coordinate services with other sections
- Develop of marketing plans and proposals, as well as participate in interviews while representing HDR as a senior technical resource in front of clients and during coordination of pursuit related work
- Confirm that all work is planned, organized, controlled and evaluated through proactive project management system. Drive to continually refine the process to increase technical competence, efficiency of design, and quality of product
- Implement, monitor and support of company policy
- Select, train, mentor and manage technical personnel
- Manage and develop multi-discipline teams, and provide leadership for a diverse team across the region including clear communication of management expectations and advocacy for employee growth and wellbeing.
- Work cooperatively with National Directors and marketing staff in local and national marketing and production efforts
Geotechnical Manager, Geotechnical Engineer, job #155509,
- 10 years or more of experience; progressive in nature with emphasis on DOT related work (State and Federal), with in-depth knowledge of NY/NJ DOT practice, including the application of the requirements contained in the DOTs design guides, specifications, and standards
- Advanced degree in Civil Engineering (with geotechnical concentration) or a geology related field
- NY Professional licensure (PE) is required
- Demonstrated ability to complete geotechnical investigations and analyses for bridge foundations, embankments, slopes, retaining walls, drainage elements and other roadway elements
- Sufficient knowledge in both rock and soil mechanics in order to fully understand the technical elements of each (breadth), in order to comfortably apply advance concepts to challenges that are new to HDR or the geotechnical group.
- Experience with all currently active contracting mechanisms and an understanding of how key decisions are made during procurement of services, including DBB, DB, and task order contracts. Sufficient knowledge of contracting and other loss prevention techniques that elevates the geotechnical engineering practice
- Proficient with geotechnical software including gINT, Slope/W, APILE, LPILE, and settlement software, as well as the ability to develop and execute designs using spreadsheets
- Proficiency in conducting seismic analyses
- Experience on complex projects with a variety of deep foundations, slope retention and ground improvement systems
- Project management experience.
Candidates who reside locally in the greater New York City area are preferred.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
United States-New York-New York
Highway + Road
Aug 30, 2019