Posting Number S01003P
Position Title Women's Wheelchair Basketball Coach (S01003P)
Department Campus Recreation
Job Family Campus Recreation
Position Status Full-time
Work Hours Variable
Open to External and Internal
Salary Salary is commensurate based on qualifications and relevant experience
Duration Funding expected to continue
Pay Basis Monthly
Benefits Eligible Yes
This position is responsible for coaching and development for all aspects of the Lady Movin’ Mavs wheelchair basketball team.
Marginal/Incidental duties: Occasionally drive a UTA vehicle. Other functions as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coach Wheelchair Basketball – arrange for daily practice, film and film systems and sessions, captains meetings, coordinate interns for athletic training and strength and conditioning, practice planning; recruit for future teams, negotiate and administer scholarship offerings to student athletes
2. Team and Program management – tournament and travel scheduling; outreach activities, scheduling and travel; coordinating interns for scheduling and internship projects; design/order team apparel; participate in campus committees and campus activities as representative of the program; design and implement other program activities (class presentations on campus to educate others about our program; Coordinate officials and volunteers for tournaments and special events; Work with Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks, Dallas Lady Mavericks Dallas Junior Mavericks and DFW FreeWheelers on equipment, scheduling, practices and clinics; Schedule home tournaments and events; Research and pull together campus and community partnerships for programming and schedules. Host a Summer Camp and other events that will bring top prospects from around the United States and the world to the UTA campus
3. Fundraising; Find and develop sponsors who are interested in supporting the Mission and Vision of the Movin’ Mavs Programs; Write thank you’s to sponsors and alumni support donations and maintain sponsor, alumni and donor relationships. Develop and maintain Alumni recognition program.
4. Seek out and develop academic partnerships on campus for academic and research collaborations. Partner with research collaborations and projects for the growth of the program and the sport. Represent the program as a resource to on campus, community and outside professional organizations
5. Maintain equipment, supplies, facilities and university property. Other functions as necessary for the smooth operation and success of the program as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University. Two years experience with Head Coaching duties in Wheelchair Basketball or the equivalent experience. Working knowledge of National Wheelchair Basketball Association. History of successfully working with population of student with disabilities. Good communication skills and understanding of pedagogy. Proven ability to recruit student athletes. Valid Class “C” Operator’s Driver’s License. Applicant selected must provide a current three year Driving Record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, must obtain a Texas Driver’s License within 30 days after entering Texas as a new resident.
The Head Coach will be a person with the leadership and vision necessary to continue the success and growth of the program. He/she will demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills along with the ability to manage multiple tasks. Other skills include budget/general accounting, athletic training, strength and conditioning and experience in disability sports. Experience coaching athletes with disabilities is strongly recommended.
Plan and implement year round training programs consistent with meeting the challenges of representing the University at the highest competitive levels possible, including Conference Championships and National Championships. Host a summer camp that will bring top prospects from around the United State and the world to the UTA campus. Work with all University departments in communicating program information, including programming, academics, and speaking opportunities. Grow financial partnerships to maintain growth and management of Adapted Sports and Recreation programs. Negotiate and administer scholarship offerings to student athletes. Represent the program on University and Departmental Committees. Host events that will bring recognition to the UTA Wheelchair Basketball program and awareness of the positive benefits of participation in the Movin’ Mavs experience with the University and Arlington community. Arrange and facilitate team travel for players and staff in a manner that will be cost efficient within a competitive framework. Create and administer a recreation program for students with disabilities. Attend Campus Recreation staff meetings. Occasionally drive a UTA vehicle. Other functions as assigned.
Master’s degree in Coaching or related field. Record of success in coaching athletes with disabilities. CPR/First Aid Certification. International level coaching experience. Excellent communication skills.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
UTA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. A criminal background check will be conducted on finalists. The UTA is a tobacco free campus.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must include in their online resume the following information: 1) Employment history: name of company, period employed (from month/year to month/year), job title, summary of job duties and 2) Education: If no high school diploma or GED, list highest grade completed; If some college or college degree, list school name, degree type, major