Responsible for the operations and maintenance of the Anesthesia equipment and supplies.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of the equipment in the department, how to operate and troubleshoot and mechanism for initiating repairs.
- Checks monitoring equipment daily and assists with preparation of such equipment (including change of anesthesia circuit) according to established procedures to ensure optimum patient safety and care.
- Notifies the Bio-Medical Specialist of any equipment needing repairs to ensure patient safety.
- Takes appropriate action for the malfunctioning equipment and used resources if unable to troubleshoot problem.
- May attach ECG cable to IV pole after patient is put on OR table.
- May arrange monitors and cable according to protocole.
- Assists with fiber-optic intubation and/or difficult airway situations;
- Sets-up for cases including preparation of laryngoscope and intubation equipment, IV solution and administration sets, sets up warming devices; assists anesthesiologist with volume infusions as directed during intra-operative volume resuscitations.
2. Works collaboratively as a team member when providing patient care to promote positive patient outcomes.
- Coordinates activities occurring outside of the unit and accompanies anesthesiologist and/or surgeon, as appropriate.
- Sets-up all pressure transducers and assures proper calibration of the transducers and pressure module, as needed.
- Responds to emergency situations in all anesthetizing locations and sets up appropriate emergency equipment.
- Effectively communicates with all members of the surgical team regarding the need for special equipment and supplies.
3. Maintains quality control and logs.
- Maintains records of maintenance of equipment as directed.
- Maintains appropriate department statistics, QA monitors, and provides written report to supervisor.
4. Follows protocol for all safety and Infection Control practice and monitors environment and equipment to ensure cleaning standards are maintained.
- Aseptically opens sterile supplies based on patient needs and procedure card.
- Follows procedure for decontamination of all instruments used during the procedure.
- Cleans all anesthesia equipment according to Infection Control standards.
- Adheres to safety and Infection Control policies: demonstrates knowledge and skills in waste disposal and standard precautions.
5. Stocks supplies necessary for administration of anesthesia.
- Checks all anesthetizing locations between cases to ensure adequate supplies and drugs are immediately available.
- Notifies management regarding supplies, which must be ordered from outside the hospital.
- Orders supplies as needed from the Anesthesia Workroom.
6. Ensures that anesthesia machines and carts are clear and well stocked.
- Cleans surfaces of anesthesia machines when anesthesia cases are finished for the day.
- Collects and restocks anesthesia supply carts so that Operating Room and Procedural areas are always ready for use.
7. Accesses medication delivery and/or medication areas, as authorized, in the performance of required duties, as needed.
8. Performs related duties, as required.
Work requires constant standing, walking, stooping, stretching, bending, pulling, pushing, turning and sitting occasionally.. Manual dexterity in order to handle instruments and equipment. Must be able to verbally communicate with patients, families and other staff members constantly. Required to lift position or transfer a patient with assistance. Lifting objects weighing from ten (10) to fifty (50) lbs. Ability to run for codes and emergencies frequently.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Currently a Certified Anesthesia Technician by the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians (ASATT), required.
- BCLS Certification, preferred.
- Must successfully complete sites’ training program within three (3) month probationary period.
- Minimum two (2) years experience as an Anesthesia Technician (or graduate of an ASATT approved 2 year educational program of study).
- Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to be well organized and work under high pressure required.
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.