PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receiving general direction from the Security Director, Operations Manager, Supervisor or Charge Officer, the incumbent shall provide a safe and secure environment for all Hospital patients, visitors and employees by enforcing Hospital security regulations and by continuously watching for and the timely reporting of any and all safety hazards or unusual occurrences through patrol of assigned areas; furthermore the incumbent shall provide protective service and response for protection of the people and property of the Hospital; is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operation of Department.
- Provides protection to people and property through patrol, investigation, monitoring alarms and surveillance cameras.
- Provides escorts for staff, visitors and patients as requested.
- Apprehends criminal violators when necessary and appropriate.
- Provides emergency response to a variety of situations.
- Applies patient restraints as needed.
- Patrols assigned areas, both buildings and grounds, giving attention to those areas where security problems have occurred. Identify unsafe conditions and improperly secured areas/property to help prevent theft, injuries or damages to Hospital property, patients, visitors and employees. Maintains strict confidentially at all times.
- Conducts preliminary investigations into thefts, shortages and other complaints involving potential criminal misconduct by questioning individuals involved with specific incidents. Keeps supervisor informed at all times.
- Prepares and submit written reports and daily events in a complete, timely and accurate manner.
- Maintains accountability for valuables/property and other forms of evidence, ensures safekeeping and maintains documentation.
- Performs morgue releases.
- Performs fire drills as required.
- Participates in assistance with workplace violence victims; responds to medical emergencies; controls pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Acts as a first responder to HazMat incidents.
- Assists motorists with jump starts and lockouts.
- Creates safety awareness among patients, visitors and staff.
- Actively takes part in any Safety and Security quality improvement initiatives.
- Troubleshoots parking gates and ticket/pay machines when necessary to ensure proper operation of all parking equipment.
- Maintains all hospital issued uniforms and equipment.
- Conducts a wide range of customer services.
- May have to work other shifts as necessary.
- Acts as Security Console Operator runner as needed.
- Performs other duties as necessary or assigned.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- Minimum of a high school diploma required.
- A strong educational background (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree) in criminal justice or related field is preferred. A combination of both experience and education will be considered.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable):
- Must possess and maintain a MA driver’s license or valid license from the state in which the employee resides
- Must submit to and pass an annual criminal background check.
Must obtain prior to end of training period and maintain throughout employment:
o De-Escalation Training and Healthcare Defensive Tactics System (HDTS)- formerly known as Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB)
o Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Spray Training
Must obtain within one year of employment and maintain throughout employment:
o Handcuff Training
o HazMat Level C Operations (All Hazards Awareness for Healthcare Personnel and Healthcare Personal Protective Equipment Operations)
o International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS) Basic Officer Certification
o First Aid/CPR/AED
Ensures all required training is up-to-date and maintains individual training records and reports errors to appropriate supervisor or manager.
o Massachusetts License to Carry Class A
o Ability to be licensed as a Special State Police Officer under the Commonwealth of MA General Laws Chapter 22 C, section 63.
- No experience required, but 1-3 years of security, or related experience preferred.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
MA-Boston-BWFH Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital Main
BWFH Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital Main 1153 Centre Street Boston 02130
Police and Security Officer
Brigham & Women's Faulkner Hospital(BWFH)
Posted Shift Description:
BWFH Police, Safety And Security
May 19, 2020