Recruitment/Posting Title Lab Assistant
Job Category AFSCME 1761 (COLT)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world. Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root nearly 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Lab Assistant for the department of Pharmacology & Toxicology. This position will provide technical laboratory research assistance to the manager of the Rutgers University Flow Cytometry/Cell Sorter and Confocal Microscopy Facility Core.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Assisting facility core users with preparation, running and analyzing of human and animal samples using techniques in flow cytometry, cell sorting, confocal microscopy, and digital imaging.
- Assisting in the scheduling of appointments for use of facility core instrumentation; ensuring that instruments are operational and individual user protocols are set up on the instruments prior to user appointments.
- Aiding users in the preparation of samples for analysis on facility core instrumentation
- Running and analyzing samples accurately and properly.
- Aiding in the training of individuals on the use of flow cytometers and microscopes and in proper data analysis and presentation.
- Helping with maintaining user records.
- Helping with billing users and establishing user protocols.
Under direct supervision,
- Performs routine tasks involved in operating, maintaining, and cleaning various types of laboratory equipment.
- Preparing media and specimens.
- Feeding and watering laboratory animals or plants; and stocking and distributing supplies and equipment.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary 30263.940
Annual Mid Range Salary 35480.680
Annual Maximum Salary 40697.420
Standard Hours 35.00
Union Description AFSCME - Local 1761 COLT
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility PERS
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a high school education/vocational school education or equivalent.
- Requires the ability to record and maintain data in computerized and non-computerized formats.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- College-level science laboratory study, laboratory technical training, or related lab experience is preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires a practical understanding and working knowledge of basic scientific principles and experimental design.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field.
- Experience working in a research laboratory in biology or related field with laboratory chemicals and antibodies.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must have excellent manual dexterity skills.
- Must be able to lift light to medium weight objects and work with low-level background noise from instrumentation.
- Must have good written and oral communication skills.
- Must lift and move up to 30 pounds.
- Must operate and maintain sophisticated equipment.
- Regular workweek may include evening and/or weekend work.
- Requires working knowledge of Microsoft Suite products including but not limited to Excel and Word.
- Must be willing and able to work with biosafety 2 specimens (BSL2).
- Must be able to read and understand technical documents, operate scientific instruments and computers, perform detailed work, manage multiple tasks, and work independently or in a team with diverse groups of facility core users.
- Will be required to attend educational workshops and training session in core facility technology, and participate in occupational health and safety programs.
Posting Number 18ST4056
Posting Open Date 01/03/2019
Special Instructions to Applicants
Message to AFSCME Local 1761 (COLT) members ONLY:
To apply, an application or resume must be submitted no later than 9:00 a.m. on 1/11/19. Although AFSCME Local 1761 (COLT) members have priority consideration, outside applications are accepted as well.
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus Busch (RU-New Brunswick)
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.