The Housing Developer is a key member of the Real Estate team who effectively executes affordable housing development projects across the project lifecycle from initial feasibility through conversion to property management. The ideal candidate will execute feasibility studies and due diligence analyses, and financing, design, community outreach, and development. The Housing Developer will collaborate closely with a team that includes other housing developers, construction managers, development partners, and external consultants, with oversight from Senior Housing Developers and/or the Director of Real Estate Development.
Position Responsibilities:The Housing Developer works independently to:
- Determine financial feasibility of potential projects through financial modelling.
- Secure financing, entitlements and community support for development projects.
- Manage the successful development of projects through acquisition, design, construction and stabilization.
- Use effective project management practices in controlling and documenting schedule, budget and development progress.
- Provide team support to other developers on an as needed basis.
- Perform feasibility analysis and lead the due diligence process for land and building acquisitions.
- Work effectively with team members to support Bellwether’s interests and mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate development, finance, architecture, or related field.
- 3-5 years of multi-family housing development experience.
- Familiarity with complex real estate development and financing mechanisms utilized for affordable housing, including tax-exempt bond financing, low income housing tax credits, property tax exemptions, and soft public funding sources.
- Working knowledge of Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program and other affordable housing funding programs.
- Working knowledge of the construction process for residential buildings.
- Development project management experience.
- Experience conducting feasibility studies and due diligence analyses for acquisition opportunities.
- Demonstrated expertise with real estate pro-formas and financial analysis tools.
- Experience reading and understanding property surveys, architectural drawings, site plans, title and legal documents
- Proven ability to manage time effectively across multiple projects.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to represent Bellwether Housing to public officials, community groups, and our lenders, investors and partners.
Other Position Requirements:
- Master’s degree in real estate development, finance, architecture, or related field.
- Experience negotiating financing terms and regulatory and partnership agreements.
- Expertise in utilizing Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program and other affordable housing funding programs.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating contracts.
- Successful experience using City of Seattle and State of Washington funding sources for low income housing.
- Interest or experience with advocacy in seeking public funding, and explaining and advocating for policies that affect affordable housing.
- Current or recent involvement with a non-profit or community-based housing organization.
- Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
$73,750 - $90,000 per year, generous benefits
Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer – we value the diversity of thought, education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience.