Akamai’s Networks Division is looking for a smart, self-motivated, highly productive Engineering Sr. Manager to lead its Network Systems department. This department develops, enhances, and maintains tools that allow Akamai to deploy and maintain a huge worldwide network with a relatively small team of people. These tools help:
Track everything we do.
Automate manual processes
Discover and QA our network topologies.
Report on process and quality metrics
Streamline our supply chain
Visualize complex data about the growth of our network and its costs
As Senior Manager of Network Systems, you will be responsible for:
Acting as Chief Architect – Decide how systems used by Networks evolve, interact, and solve business needs. Systems include the “Big Data” NetArch database, Contract database, Deploy database, Siebel, Network Partner and Field Tech Portals, hundreds of command-line tools, dozens of Web-based GUIs, several knowledge management systems, etc.
Team Leadership – Manage a growing team of 20+ employees and interns located in Krakow, Cambridge, Bangalore, Illinois, Connecticut, and Michigan. Marry individual strengths and interests with team needs. Keep people productive & engaged. Develop team leads and managers to provide team structure.
Program Management and Technical Leadership – Ensure that customer requirements are captured, prioritized, assigned, and met. Keep projects on track. Keep customers informed. Clear roadblocks. Ensure software quality through code reviews, design assistance, coaching, and monitoring customer satisfaction. Help the team perfect their software engineering.
Rolling up your sleeves – This group has a big job for its size. At times, you may also need to act as business analyst, change champion, system administrator, DBA, system designer, or even developer.
About the Team
The Networks Division is responsible for deploying and maintaining Akamai's global network, that carries over 20% of the world's web traffic. The Network Systems department supports the various sub-teams within Networks, enabling them to do their jobs well and more efficiently.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
- 12 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent or
- 10 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree or its equivalent or
- 7 years of relevant experience and a PhD or Equivalent professional experience
or its equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years writing code in at least one of the following: Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby
- Minimum of 10 years working in a Linux/UNIX environment
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing engineering teams, which includes hiring and performance management
- Minimum of 5 years working with relational database systems and complex SQL statements
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience with deployment and continuous integration tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Jenkins, Bamboo)
- Experience with network automation tools and protocols (SNMP, Yang, Netconf)
- Experience with networking including TCP/IP, Routing (especially BGP), Switching, VLANs and DNS
- Experience with big data services, REST API architecture, user-centered design
- Experience working with a team that spans multiple geographies