United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10374957
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
11/18/2019 - 11/25/2019
INNOVATION & PRODUCT DEV SPEC
475 LENFANT PLZ SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20260-0004
TITLE: INNOVATION & PRODUCT DEV SPEC
GRADE: EAS - 23
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 2370-0562
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 77,300.00 - 95,654.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 102945
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Sources and investigates new product ideas and customer development strategies; supports, develops and launches new
products; participates in executing pilot tests for product and service concepts; and supports a wide range of innovation
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops and executes pilot tests for new offerings and measures revenue growth. Assists in improving current products
and processes by providing innovative thinking, working with various teams to execute the plans.
2. Develops product ideas through ideation generation techniques, design and user-centered approaches to product
development. Applies rapid product development and iterative innovation to create minimally viable products (MVPs).
3. Coordinates market research efforts with clients, partners, prospects and industry experts to identify emerging market
trends and opportunities, and develops recommendations for new initiatives, alliances and partnerships.
4. Develops business cases and detailed specifications for new products and services that add value and increase revenue,
including identify need, objectives, resources, timeframe, costs and impacts. Collects, analyzes, interprets, evaluates, and
presents data, including statistics, charts, segmentation and consumer insights analysis.
5. Collaborates cross-functionally with key stakeholders to develop, test, launch and deliver new products and services
including product concept and rationale, market opportunity, benefits and risks to the Postal Service.
6. Provides on-going return on investment (ROI) budget tracking and assessments and provides reports to senior
7. Prepares written reports and delivers presentations to senior management summarizing exploration findings.
8. Provides innovation expertise and provides assistance with concept assessment, value proposition development, and
business model creation or other tasks as needed to develop team.
9. Collaborates with Information Technology, Engineering, Operations and Supply Management to implement new products
and solutions including understanding of the implications for logistics, technology, operations, process flows, hardware and
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to communicate orally and in writing to solicit and exchange information and deliver briefings and presentations for
both internal and external audiences at various levels.
2. Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders at various levels within the organization.
3. Ability to conduct research, analyze data, and synthesize findings sufficient to identify and evaluate innovation ideas and
support business cases.
4. Ability to encourage risk-taking, tolerate failure, leverage feedback, and work cooperatively and diligently to overcome
obstacles to unique and challenging problems.
5. Ability to strategically assess the target customer and lead projects for new business initiatives.
6. Ability to lead ideation generation and brainstorming sessions by including divergent points of view and knowledge of a
design and a user- centered perspective.
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned.**
This is a two step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For additional information, please contact Cyril Johnson at Talent@usps.gov
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.