GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
To be responsible for:
- Coordination of the Ethics Commission's education program (creating and presenting ethics seminars and trainings to small and large groups; designing online training modules; drafting written training materials).
- Prosecution of complaints alleging violations of the Code of Ethics (overseeing investigations; preparing pleadings and briefs; appearances before Ethics Commission for hearings).
- Representing Ethics Commission from time to time in litigation matters before Superior and Supreme Court.
- Drafting advisory opinions, regulations, legal memoranda and various reports to assist in the Commission's administration and mission.
- Frequent interactions with members of the public, the press and public officials concerning the requirements of the Code of Ethics and the workings of the Ethics Commission.
Works under the supervision of the Executive Director/Chief Prosecutor and, as needed, other senior legal staff. However, employee must be capable of self-direction and be comfortable working independently to accomplish the objectives of the Ethics Commission.
No regular supervision exercised, although the Staff Attorney IV must be comfortable working with and directing investigative and administrative staff relative to supporting investigations, complaints and special projects.
Illustrative Examples of Work Performed:
- Prepare and present Code of Ethics trainings and seminars to large and small groups of public officials and employees.
- Legal research and drafting the following types of documents:
- Advisory Opinions;
- Correspondence with public officials;
- Commission regulations;
- Legal memoranda;
- Annual reports and other special reports;
- Legal notices;
- Investigative Reports;
- Appearances before the Ethics Commission at public meetings relative to advisory opinions, special reports and complaint matters.
- Conduct adjudications (administrative trials) before the Ethics Commission.
- Appeals of Ethics Commission Decisions & Orders before Rhode Island Superior and Supreme Courts.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, respond to press inquiries.
- Compiling data and statistics relative to various activities and functions of the Commission for use as performance measures.
- Performing related tasks as requested by the Executive Director or Ethics Commission.
Required Qualifications for Appointment:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES:
The successful candidate will be expected to quickly become an expert in all aspects of the Code of Ethics and Ethics Commission procedures, and to be knowledgeable in all aspects of administrative law and the Administrative Procedures Act; and
Must be a strong and engaging public speaker, capable of holding the attention of small and large groups while explaining complex provisions of the Code of Ethics through use of examples, hypotheticals and responding to spontaneous audience questions;
Must have practice experience in administrative, civil or criminal litigation, including full understanding of the rules of practice, civil procedure and evidence;
Must possess superior legal writing skills, such as may have been gained through experience writing or editing for a law review, in a judicial clerkship, or through other training and experience. This position requires considerable legal writing;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education and Experience: J.D. Required, and must be a current member in good standing of the Rhode Island bar.
Experience such as may have been gained through the practice of law before administrative agencies, state courts and/or federal courts, and educational experience as may have been gained through teaching or providing workshops, trainings or seminars.
The Ethics Commission is an independent, non-partisan entity and its employees are prohibited from holding public office or participating in political campaigns pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws § 36-14-8(f).
The successful candidate must also be a person who is guided by, and committed to, principles of honesty and integrity.
Please attach resume and a recent writing sample.