This position is responsible for supervision of the banquet staff, and ensuring assigned banquet events meet or exceed client expectations. Ensures the banquet department operates effectively, including adherence to health regulations and local liquor laws. Works side by side with associates ensuring achievement of overall financial results, guest satisfaction and positive associate morale.
• Effectively oversees banquet house persons ensuring proper set up and take down per function specifications.
• Listens to clients, and responds to/handles changes to the function specification in a timely, professional, and courteous manner.
• Attends appropriate Banquet meetings and communicates effectively with all responsible staff to ensure guest needs are met.
• Effectively manages banquet servers and greets bartenders for specified banquet events, and ensures all food and beverage service standards are met.
• Meets with client or group contact, and then clearly communicates specific service requirements and client needs to assigned staff for each banquet event.
• Quickly and appropriately responds to any associate conflicts to ensure the execution of event is not impacted by any concerns.
• Ensures work area is cleaned and restocked for upcoming events.
• Responds quickly to changes in business needs, and manages labor effectively.
• Properly schedules, monitors use of labor, and send associates home as needed.
• Stays on top of availability for associates, and appropriately utilizes on call staff in addition to regular part time and full time staff.
• Manages and maintains company assets.
• Personally models exemplary guest service, and sets the standard for banquet servers.
• Accountable for guest satisfaction by ensuring food and beverage service standards are met and guests’ needs are responded to in a timely manner.
• Works side by side with associates providing feedback to drive GSS and ESS results.
• Resolves guests’ complaints in courteous and friendly manner, focuses on service recovery when applicable.
• Builds relationships with clients to maximize repeat business.
• Personally sets the example for working safely.
• Ensures service standards per CSM, brand, local, state and federal regulations.
• Ensures a clean and safe work environment, and follows all CSM procedures for guest/associate incidents.
• Attends safety meetings and shares safety information with banquet staff.
• Knows the hotel’s emergency plan and procedures.
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and developing associates.
• Evaluates staff performance and coaches to ensure standards are met.
• Motivates team by setting goals, providing ongoing feedback, and rewarding/recognizing associates.
• Works in conjunction with manager to deliver discipline/corrective action and make termination decisions.
• Responsible for training all associates and ensuring training records are maintained.
• Conducts shift meetings.
• Brings associate concerns to the attention of management.
• Analyzes quality issues, identifies training needs, and ensures implementation to improve results.
• Utilizes available resources and adheres to CSM's training policies.
• Ensures all company, brand, and department-specific training requirements are met.
• Responsible for effective self/workload management.
• Demonstrates clear written and verbal communication skills.
• Promotes collaboration and positive, professional work environment.
• Attends all required meetings and shares information with staff as appropriate.
• Adheres to all CSM Standard Operating Procedures.
Competencies/Skills Required: One or more years of banquets captain experience required. Must be detail oriented, have ability to communicate well with all levels within and outside the organization, and be able to problem-solve with associates and guests. Must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Education: High School diploma or GED required. Serve Safe, TIPS or CARE beverage service certification or the ability to obtain certification is required.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 pounds consistently throughout shift, and 75 pounds on an occasional basis. Requires ability to work extended hours based on business needs, with physically demanding responsibilities such as walking, standing, carrying, and moving throughout the extended shift.
Competencies/Skills Preferred: Prefer 2+ years banquet captain experience in a hotel setting of similar brand or distinction. Prefer banquet experience with venue of similar size, volume, and reputation for focus on client satisfaction.