- High School Diploma or GED
What You Will Do:
I. General Summary
Under direct supervision assists with daily operations of the assigned unit or department. Greets and establishes relationships with patients, families and visitors in order to facilitate communications with the staff and physicians and support the plan of care. Ensures and provides the highest level of service, answers questions, and directs patients and their families as needed.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Cordially greets families and visitors upon arrival to the unit or department. Orients each family to the processes associated with the unit or department including communication with the clinical staff, and visitation with the patient. Reviews the patients’ rights and responsibilities, including the management of patient belongings and valuables on admission and throughout an admission.
2. Develops strong relationships with patients, families, physicians and staff to ensure a professional and consistent experience in the unit or department. Anticipates needs of families in waiting rooms and the patient rooms. Ensures excellent customer service while interacting with and serving a culturally diverse population.
A. Employee exhibits emotional maturity by controlling emotions during frustrating or anger provoking situations with others
B. Employee exhibits emotional maturity by remaining calm during crisis or emotionally charged situations.
C. Employee exhibits a positive attitude at all times and exhibits enthusiasm while performing duties.
D. Employee acts as role model in demonstrating customer service behaviors.
3. Ability to handle multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and work in a team environment. Possesses a positive attitude, professional appearance, genuine and confident demeanor.
4. Under the supervision of nursing, answers call bells and appropriately communicates the needs of the patient and family with nursing staff. Can independently offer comfort items such as blankets, linens, and other amenities.
5. Coordinates communications for families in delicate and stressful situations. Manages requests from patients, families, visitors, physicians, and other staff while maintaining departmental and hospital policies. Displays sensitivity to patient and family concerns, in a non-judgmental way.
6. Works cooperatively to resolve issues and concerns that arise using Act with HEART service recovery strategies. Possesses integrity and accountability in actions based on values consistent with C2X and behavioral standards. Ability to make appropriate judgments to resolve issues proactively.
7. Maintains collaborative working relationship with other departments, referring issues when appropriate, i.e. Pastoral Care, Social Work, Interpreters, Food and Nutrition, Security, Volunteers, Parking and Nursing. Participates in meetings with other Patient and Family Liaisons and supports the growth and development of the role.
8. Maintains supply inventory, if applicable, sufficient to meet the needs of the waiting areas.
A. Responsible to make coffee and assure that adequate refreshments are available in the area.
B. Assures reading materials and other amenities are available to patient families in the waiting areas.
9. Identifies family/visitor perception of services and provides feedback to staff in order to effect changes to enhance service. Promotes the establishment and maintenance of meaningful relationships with Hospital staff to enhance the delivery of health care.
10. Complies with applicable regulations such as HIPAA, corporate compliance and safety. Maintains strict confidentiality of patient matters.
11. Contacts Safety, Security, Environmental Services, and Facilities Management, for assistance when necessary.
A. Monitors and maintains the environment
B. Reports safety concerns immediately
12. Performs related duties as required.
What You Need to Be Successful:
1. Completion of a high school level of course work with attainment of a high school diploma, High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) or equivalent experience.
2. A minimum of one year customer service experience is required. Experience in a hospital or health care setting is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.