All applicants are required to submit an application. You may visit our website at www.braysisland.org to complete an application. For more information contact the Human Resources office (843) 846-3116. EOE
FUNCTION: Responsible for equine care and services, upkeep and maintenance of the equestrian center. Ensures all programs and services are fulfilled in a manner consistent with the goals and objectives of Brays Island Plantation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures care for approximately 70 horses to include feeding, exercising, etc.
- Responsible for horse assignments to include grooming, bathing, special needs, etc.
- Provides exceptional customer service to owners, guests and internal partners.
- Exercises horses as needed.
- Conducts trail rides.
- Cleans stalls, barn, isle ways and other cleaning and maintenance of equestrian facilities.
- Administers minor first aid to horses when needed; contacts veterinarian for additional equine care.
- In supervisors/manager’s absence, administers aid as needed to horses and advises manager immediately. Otherwise, consults with manager regarding horse needs or care. Equestrian Director will deliver communications to owner regarding course of action and care.
- Assists with coordinating equestrian activities, i.e. trail/community rides, summer camp program, educational clinics.
- Performs night checks as needed in supervisors/manager’s absence.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Capable of working extended hours, to include weekends and holidays as necessary.
- Must have a valid S.C. driver’s license.
- Able to see well enough to read faint or partially obscured writing or printing, with corrective lenses if needed.
- Must be able to speak English in a clear and understandable voice so that various types of communications may be conducted with people of various levels of education and capabilities.
- Position involves sitting, standing and/or movement throughout the day. Must be able to transport oneself not only to the office, but also around the plantation.
- Must be physically and intellectually capable of operating a personal computer, printer, facsimile machine, telephone typewriter, and various other routine business items.
- Position involves sitting, standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, shoving, lifting, carrying and moving objects that can weigh up to 50-75 lbs. This movement can occur throughout the day.
- Working environment is both indoors and outdoors. Required to perform job in all types of weather conditions. Work day will be divided in varying percentages from well-lighted, temperature controlled work area to exposure of all types of weather elements.
- Must be able to work on more than one assignment at a time with interruptions, changes and delays while meeting daily deadlines. Must be able to remain focused and work effectively, efficiently and cheerfully under such circumstances.
- Must be able to work effectively and cheerfully in an environment, which may be stressful due to adversarial situations resulting from the proper performance of duties.
Education: 2-year degree with major related to field or an equivalent of education and experience.
Knowledge: Prior knowledge of equestrian center programs. Computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Access programs preferred.
Skills: Highly effective interpersonal skills, problem solving abilities and advanced communication skills a plus.
Experience: 3-5 years competent riding experience with 2-3 years working experience in a stable/equestrian environment.
Personality: Must be able to effectively interact with all types of individuals, be mentally alert, detail oriented with good reasoning skills.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job when circumstances change; e.g., emergencies, rush jobs, changes in personnel, workload, technological developments, etc.
Job Types: Full-time, Commission
- competent riding: 3 years (Preferred)
- grooming horses: 2 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts